Is is Normal to Have Lots of Mucas/snot Post-op Rhinoplasty?

I am 4 days post-op and have a yellowish mucas/snot continuously coming out of my nose. Is this normal? I feel like I have to hold a tissue up to my nose all day.

Nasal Drainage After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

It is completely normal to have nasal drainage after rhinoplasty especially that you are at 4 days post-op.

That being said, you have to make sure that the drainage does not persist for weeks without running the situation by your surgeon.

Make sure you follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your nose safe from any possible trauma.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Nasal Drainage immediately after Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

It is normal to have drainage immediately after a rhinoplasty. This is due to the inflammation and swelling secondary to the surgery. Talk to your surgeon about dealing with this.

Mucus post rhinoplasty

+1

Since your nose is swolen after surgery the mucus which normally goes down your throat silently comes out the front...Also less air is passing thru the nostrils to dry the mucus.It's perfectly normal

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Mucous after rhinoplasty

+1

It is quite normal to have increased nose drainage/mucous after rhinoplasty. In many cases it can be bloody as well. Saline rinses can help with clearing this, but I'd check with your surgeon first to make sure it's okay.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD