Can a Palate Expander Expand Nasal Bones After Rhinoplasty?

I'm probably having a rhinoplasty 2 months before a palate expander. (SARPE). I'm wondering if this could be a bad combination. The nasal bones will be broken in rhinoplasty. Can the palate expander expand the fracture of the nasal bones in an undesirable way? Should there be more time inbetween?

Palate Expander and Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question. Repositioning the nasal bones via osteotomies make small cuts in the facial bones. Specifically, lateral osteotomies make cuts in the ascending process of the maxilla and the paired nasal bones. Medial osteotomies make cuts in the nasal bones themselves. The resultant mobile fragments are at the top of the nasal structure, much higher on the face than the palatal arch involved with expansion procedures.  I don't think there is any reason to delay your next procedure. I hope this helps. Take care. 

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Procedures At Different Facial Planes

+1

Hi,

Fixing your narrow palate at 2 months after surgery should not cause problems as both surgeries address different aspects of the face.

Nonetheless, with every surgery comes a risk and that is part of the game that your surgeon did explain somewhere down the line.

As for the details of each surgery, I am sure that your surgeon and based on thorough exam did or will explain in depth what to expect and deal with.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Palate Expander Perplexity

+1

A palate expander progressively widens the palatal arch, which is part of the large maxillary  mid-face bone.  However, the actual (rather small) nasal bones are located much more superior (above) the palate and abut the frontal bone and the frontal process of the maxilla.  Often, during rhinoplasty, the frontal process of the maxilla is purposely fractured to improve the nasal appearance.  Yes, the "nasal bones" may be involved with rhinoplastic medial (mid-line) osteotomies (planned bony fractures), but a palatal expander will not "split" your nasal bones.

Dr. Ellenbogen from Los Angeles is correct and your current physician will likely confirm our explanations.

Robert A. Shumway, MD, FACS

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can it work

+1

I feel these are in totally different planes of the face and one shouldnt in any way effect the other. I'm sure your doctor told you this and I must agree with him

Richard Ellenbogen, MD