Chin Implant Recovery

What aftercare do I need once I get a chin implant.  When can I return to work?  Worried about bruising

What's the recovery after a Chin implant?

+4

I have performed Chin augmentation with chin implants for over 20 years and:

1. Only use an incision, under the chin, never through the mouth to place the chin implant
  2. Do not secure the chin implant with sutures or screws
  3. Do not recommend using a strap or wrap across the chin area which, IMHO, could cause the chin implant to move
  4. Recommend patients do not touch the chin implant for 1 month
  5. Recommend patients sleep on an airline style U-shaped pillow for 1 month
  6. Recovery is quite quick, with majority of swelling and bruising gone at 1 week
  7. The mouth, smile etc. will feel restricted which improves over the subsequent several months
  8. The chin implant should be completely healed at 3-4 months
  9. Numbness, if any, resolvs over several months

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant Aftercare

+3

You definitely want to make sure you avoid pressure or trauma to the lower jaw region. Cold compresses are recommended in the first 72 hours and help to minimize swelling and bruising. Many patients choose frozen peas for this purpose since they are lightweight and conform to the chin area. Skin sutures, if present, under the chin are removed around day 5. I will routinely evert the skin edges, meaning the skin will tent up a little from the surrounding tissue. This is done on purpose so that the scar heals flat as time goes on. This process may take several weeks to occur. Usually by 10 days most patients are publicly presentable.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

chin implant recovery

+1
 In our practice, we perform chin implants under local anesthesia. Patients are able to drive themself home after the implant has been placed. Expect visible swelling to last approximately 10 days after the procedure. Full healing takes approximately 2-3 months for the implant to settle in. 

​Recovery after Chin Implant

+1

Recovery after Chin Implant

Recovery from chin augmentation surgery will vary with the the type of implant and incision

used, and whether other procedures were done at the same time. The chin augmentation

recovery process is not considered to be painful relative to other surgeries; oral medication

will control pain for the first few days, and after that no pain medicine is typically needed.

The evening of your surgery date, your lower lip and mouth may feel numb immediately, as if

you’ve been to the dentist. As sensation returns, your lower jaw will feel tight and sore '

from your body’s natural swelling response. It is at this point that you can take your pain

medication, if necessary. You are encouraged to engage in light activity.

If your implant was placed through an incision beneath your chin, the sutures (if they

are not self dissolving) will be removed after 5–10 days. If your chin augmentation was

performed through the mouth, you will be on a liquid or soft-foods diet for a few days while

your mucosal skin heals. You will rinse your mouth out regularly to keep the incision clean.

The sutures will dissolve on their own over the course of a few weeks.

You will experience an odd sensation in your chin for a time while your nerves return to

their normal function.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin Implant Recovery

+1

Chin implant recovery is usually minimal about 1-2 days. It is placed through a submental incision.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Chin Implant Recovery

+1

A chin implant is reasonable and can be placed in through a submental incision or an intraoral incision. This may cost $3000 to $4000 or so. This is generally a well tolerated procedure with few complications. There is usually very little bruising and swelling. If your work is not physically demanding you can return to work in a couple of days or so depending upon how you feel.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of chin implants and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin implant after care

+1

You should be able to return to work after 5 to 7 days and to regular physical activities after 2 weeks.  Some mild to moderate discomfort is normal in the first few days. The lower lip may feel tight for a few weeks after the surgery.  If the implant is placed through an incsion on the inside of the mouth, care is taken to keep the area clean with frequent saline rinses during the first week. 

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Recovery

+1

Chin implant recovery is typically quick and pain free. You may see a temporary change in the smile for a week or so and this returns to normal quickly. My only suggestion with recovery is that if you have any major dental work needed that you should attempt this prior to your schedule chin augmentation for a speedy recovery.

Michael Elam, MD

Post-operative instructions after chin implant...

+1

Usually after chin augmentation, you should expect some discomfort and swelling for about a week.  The swelling may cause a little difficulty smiling and talking, but that is only temporary and will return to normal in a week or so.  Most people return to work in a week.  You should avoid activity that might cause an impact to your face for a few weeks, such as contact sports, or anything that may cause damage to your new beautifully sculpted chin.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant recovery

+1

Patients generally recover quickly from a chin implant.  You will likely have some focal chin swelling that should resolve in 1 week or less.  After surgery, I instruct patients to avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for about 2-3 weeks (avoid impact sports for instance).   In addition, we have a protocol for good oral hygiene if an intraoral incision is utilized.   In terms of returning to work, I just suggest perhaps 2 or 3 days off and then you can go back to a desk job full-time.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS