Do Chin Implants Look and Feel Natural?

Like a plastic piece if somoene grabbed my chin?...dont want that.  Want a natural look!

Chin Implants Feel Natural

The chin implants I used in my San Francisco Bay Area practice are comprised of rubberized solid silicone. The implants are flexible enough to allow insertion into a carefully created pocket along the front of the jaw bone but are firm enough that they feel like the underlying bone after placement. The implants are placed underneath the skin, fat and muscle of the chin. They should not be palpable if placed properly. The procedure can be performed under local anesthesia (with or without light sedation) or general anesthesia, depending on patient preference. 

As for the look of the implants, I utilize computer imaging during the consultation. This allows the patient to communicate to me how large they would like the chin to be. I then use these photos as a guide during the surgery to determine which size chin implant would most appropriate. The keys to yielding a natural look include proper sizing of the implant and placement in a symmetric fashion. 

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

A properly-placed chin implant feels like a normal chin.

Chin implants come in different sizes, shapes, and compositions. Most are firm, not at all soft like breast implants, or even rubbery like calf or pec implants. If properly placed below the soft tissues (adjacent to the bone), healing forms a scar that encapsulates and immobilizes the implant (which may have perforations that allow tissue to anchor the implant even further). The sensory nerves to the chin, lips, and gums should be carefully visualized and preserved during the surgery, and once healed, your chin feels normal to touch (by someone else--they will NOT be able to tell), and has normal sensation felt by you. Your appearance will be different, and your smile may be slightly altered as well (usually it is broader and more self-confident!), but the implant itself cannot be felt, moved, or damaged. Infection is rare, but more common with an inside-the-mouth incision compared to the under-the-chin scar, which is why I prefer the nearly-invisible but present scar on the underside of the chin.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

There are several different materials available for chin...

There are several different materials available for chin implants. The most popular forms are available as solid silicone, high-density polyethylene (trade name MedPor), and ePTFE (trade name Gore-Tex).

The implants are usually customized for the individual to take into account size of implant used and degree of implantation, whether it be just the chin or extending from the chin onto the jaw bone.

For the most part, chin implants should feel natural and patients rarely comment that they feel unnatural or even notice that they are present after the initial healing phase.

One note about chin implants: sensation to the lower part of the cheek and the chin area is provided by two nerves which come out of the lower jaw bone near where chin implants are usually placed. These nerves can be bruised or stretched during implantation and, rarely, permanently damaged, creating a temporary or possibly permanent numbness of the chin, lower lip, and lower cheek area. This can lead to some unnatural feeling even if the implant itself feels natural.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do chin implants feel and look natural?

The answer is that they can look natural if done correctly and with proper patient selection. In my own practice my preference is to address the real problem which is a deficiency of the chin and lower jaw. By that I mean to move the chin surgically into it's proper position and create harmony between the chin and the nose. The procedure is called a genioplasty. I have come across several chin implants that have shifted, easily palpable or have erroded into the bone because of the action of the overlying muscles. In general I am not a very big fan of chin implants and remain partial towards a genioplasty.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Chin Implants Look and Feel Natural

Most chin implants when place properly by a well trained surgeon should look and feel natural both to the patient and to others.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin Implant

Hi there. A “strong” and well-defined jaw and chin have traditionally been attractive physical traits. As such, some patients present with concerns about a weak or recessed chin.

A more aesthetic chin may be achieved by placement of a chin implant. Interestingly, a balanced chin improves overall facial appearance and may actually influence nasal projection.For example, a weak chin may increase the severity of an overprojected nose.

Good overall medical health, as well as realistic expectations, are necessary. It is also key to understand all aspects of the surgery and aftercare. A pleasing, balanced profile can be achieved by inserting an implant to augment a weak chin, resulting in improved facial harmony.

Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant. post operative appearance and feel

chin implant is hard material

it is made to be fixed on bone. it act as an extension of bone. it should feel like it.

so feeling of hard material like bone in the chin is the normal feeling to have.

natural look will depend on your chin measurement and the corresponding implant.

if the right measurement used, you will have a natural look

Jacques Haddad, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants feel natural

If the chin augmentation is done properly by a board certified plastic surgeon, the implant should feel 100% natural. Best of luck.

David Rapaport, MD

Chin implants

although several different materials can be used for chin augmentation, I have always preferred the Medpor impant which can be carved to fit the underlying chin shape well and can be fixed in place with tiny titanium screws so it will never move. It also feels the most like the underlying bone. It should never have to be replaced as well... Good Luck!

G. Wesley Price, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Do chin implants look and feel natural?

Chin implants  do look and feel natural when they're placed in the proper anatomical position. That  position is located underneath the periosteum of the bone. In our practice, we place Silastic implants through a submental approach under local anesthesia. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination.