Can I Drink Before my Breast Augmentation?

I am getting breast implants in two weeks and have a girls night out planned the weekend before. I'm not a big drinker, but is it ok if I have one or two cocktails a few nights before surgery? I've heard a few different opinions.

Alcohol intake prior to surgery

+2

As a general rule, we advise patients to abstain from alcohol intake several days prior to surgery. We want you to arrive at surgery fully hydrated and healthy for elective cosmetic surgery. 

Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol Consumption before Surgery

+1
Thank you for your question. While I would not have a problem with a patient consuming alcohol one week prior to breast augmentation (within reason of course), each surgeon has their own pre-op instructions. Because you have already chosen a surgery date, you should discuss this with your doctor and follow his or her specific guidelines.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Drinking alcohol before surgery

+1

We typically advise patients to abstain from alcohol consumption about a week prior to surgery. We want to make sure you are as healthy & as hydrated as possible the day of surgery.

Be well and good luck!

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Alcohol and surgery

+1

This is a question that is raised all the time. Our recommendation in this practice is to limit your drinking one week prior to the operation. Having a glass of wine 48 hours prior to surgery is probably ok. We ask you not to drink 48 hours prior to any procedure. Best wishes.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

Drinking and Breast Surgery

+1

If it will a few days before your surgery and you allow yourself recovery time including no drinking and adequate  re-hydration, then you should be fine.  If you have any questions, please discuss with you plastic surgeon. Have a fun "girl's night out!"

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

A couple of drinks should be fine

+1

A handful of drinks a couple nights before surgery in a healthy person should be fine.  Just make sure to rehydrate yourself prior to surgery as alcohol can dehydrate you.  Good luck with your surgery.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Drinking a few nights prior to surgery

+1

First I would recommend you contact your surgeon as I do not know the specifics of your medical history. As a general rule one or two drinks in a healthy patient SEVERAL nights  before surgery would not be a problem.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Alcohol prior to Surgery

+1

Most surgeons provide their patients with written instructions about what they would like you to do prior to surgery and you follow their instructions. In general, if you were to have a drink or two a few nights before surgery, it should not be an issue. The key is moderation. You don't want to do anything that might adversely impact the outcome of your surgery

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Rules regarding drinking alcohol pre breast augemntation

+1

All plastic surgeons will placde restirctions on you preop to minimize the risk of bleeding.  Alcohol falls into those guidelines and rules.  Check with YOUR doctor for their rules.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Alcohol consumption before surgery

+1

A drink or two would be okay two to three days before surgery, but I would not consume anymore.  Make sure your plastic surgeon is in agreement and most importantly follow his/her advice.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD