5 Wks Post Op, 400 Cc High Profile Implants, What Cup Size? (photo)

Hello, I am 5 weeks post op. I had 400 cc Mentor High Profile implants put in under the muscle (partially). I did not have a lift. Prior to surgery I was a 32A, I had shown my PS pictures and said I wanted to be a very full C. I am 5'2 and weigh 122 lbs. I measured my breasts yesterday and I am only measuring as a B cup. I am very disappointed. Also, although they appear round from some angles, from other angles they almost look flat. Did I go to small implant wise? Will they always appear flat?

5 weeks Postop - 400cc HP implants. What cup size?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

You out should await for swelling to subside and settling of the implants, which takes a few months. Then, you could get sized and fitted in bras. 

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Fit the augmentation to the body, not the bra!

+1

The cup size on a bra is variable based on the manufacturer. For this reason, we don't guarantee cup sizes. 400cc high profile implants give a lot of projection and volume for a 32A breast. Given your photos, you now have large breasts, but they fit your body shape. In our office, we refer women to a bra specialist for fitting (they are very common in the mastectomy departments of Nordstrom's or Macy's). We have found many women have no real idea of how to try on and properly choose a bra that fits them. Regardles, rather than focus on the cup size, how do you feel about the size of your breasts and how you look in clothing? As for some flattening and contour deformities, at 5 weeks you are still very early in the recovery period. Wait until you are 3-6 months out before becoming too concerned about these issues.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Volume (cc s) and cup size

+1

For where you started (A cup) considering your height and weight,  400 ccs seems a very appropriate choice for your implant volume, given your desire for a full C cup.  Round implants will give a more "artiifcial" look in general.  For 5 weeks I think your result is good and if given time, when measured will likely achieve your cup size goals.  Keep in mind if you wear a Victoria Secret bra count on a full cup size difference as their bras run smaller.  chris@heddenmd.com

Christopher J. Schaffer, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

What about cup size

+1

A very important discussion I have with patients before surgery is that it is impossible to guarantee cup or bra size after a breast augmentation.  I do want the patient to like the way she looks after surgery. Five weeks after a breast augmentation is too early to tell what your final result will be.

Every patient who contemplates this operation needs to realize that there is a specific range of breast implant sizes that are right for each patient.  Those breast implants will produce a certain volume change and finally a certain bra and cup size. It doesn't start with the cup size and work backward to the size implant.  It starts with your body and your before surgery breast size and shape.  You meet with your plastic surgeon and tell him what you would like to achieve with surgery and he will tell you what range of implant sizes will work for you. Any one of those implants will make your breast bigger.  None of them may be able to make you the size you want because that size implant may be too big for your body.

The other issue is that bra manufacturers do have s standard to one size as most women know in a bra made by one company may not be quite the same as a bra made by another company. Also cup sizes can be a bit confusing to all involved: size C, full C or in your case very full C.  Yet there is only one size C bra in any size not several.  This is another area that takes time and perhaps pictures to help explain to your plastic surgeon, what you are trying to accomplish with surgery. You must remember, however, the size implant you need yo accomplish your goal may be too bog for your body.  You then have a simple desicion: have the surgery with the appropriate size implant and "settle" for a somewhat smaller size or do nat have the surgery and settle for the size you are without the surgery.  Some may be better than too much.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

It's not about cup size, cc volume, or the letter on a bra label--it's about how your breasts look!

+1

First of all, your result is far from "final" since you are only 5 weeks post-op. Things are guaranteed to change as your tissues soften stretch, and your implants settle into their "final" position over several months (6-12). Many patients early post-op are concerned about size (usually too small, like you) and in some cases, this does require re-operation for placement of larger implants. There are some practical anatomic limitations to this that might be present in your specific case; only time will tell.

I'm not sure how you determined that your breasts "measure as a B cup," since I also agree that you have the "look" of a full C to small D. You certainly aren't "flat," but then size is a matter of personal preference.

I personally think that you will have a very nice, full look as more time goes by (if you don't develop capsular contracture). Keep in touch with your plastic surgeon and his nursing staff; they can all provide advice about how things change as time goes by! If you want something different, then you and your surgeon can discuss the available options. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bigger Breast Implants

+1

Hello Kricketkricket,

You've maxed out on implant size.  As for the 'high profile', you are a perfect example of how implant profiles won't lift the breast or reposition the nipple.  The 'flatness' you are perceiving has something to do with your implants filling the upper pole of the breasts and your chest, but is doing very little for your breast tissue that sits below it.  If your breast tissue was properly draped over the implant you'd have more projection, and less 'flat' appearance.

One of the conversations you should have had with your doctor is about the inability to guarantee a cup size, and that bra sizes in general are not standardized units of measurement, varying a great deal from bra to bra, and between manufacturers.

If after 3 to 6 month healing period you have no other objections, you'd be a good for a breast lift.  Please don't entertain larger implants, that won't help you in the short or long term.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Post op breast augmentation

+1

You certainly look to be at least a C or D cup.  Remember that all bras are different and that the doctor cannot dictate a cup size in the result.  You really couldn't go with a wider implant so having 400 HP is about as big as you could have gone.  As for the flattness, give it 6 months but you might need a lift to get more forward projection from the tissue.  The implant is already doing all that it can.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Size after Augmentation-Mastopexy

+1

From your pictures, you look larger than a B cup.  I would suggest going to your local bra store and have them measure you if you are concerned.  

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

Just from your photos it looks like you are a good C or D cup.  Remember, bra companies are all different.  Best to talk to your doctor.

+1

Your appear on the posted photos to be a c to d cup. And your result looks very good. Best to discuss with your PS in person.