Is there a Risk of Implant Explosion of Breasts During Commercial Flying?

Hello! I had a breast augmentation 1st March last year.Now I am starting career as a cabin crew. Before joining I wrote that I had surgery, also talked with doctor if it's ok to fly with silicone, he said if operation was good and if I had no further complains then it's ok!Later I was reading couple articles when breasts were exploded upon landing or due to cruising.So Im a bit scared. It explodes as I understood at high altitude. I was flying 3 times last year and felt great. Thank you.

Is there a risk of implant explosion of breasts during commercial flying?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Altitude and pressure have no effect on breast implants, whether saline or silicone. It is safe to travel by air within pressurized cabins or even scuba dive without concern. No further precautions should be taken during these activities. Certainly, discuss any concerns with your surgeon prior.

In the same manner, blunt force will unlikely cause rupture. Repeated trauma from the folding of the implant over time is known to be associated with rupture. Obviously, penetrating trauma from sharp objects will also result in rupture. Both saline and silicone implants are very durable and daily activities will not cause any increased risk to the integrity of the implant. Hope that thus helps. Best wishes!

Implants and air travel

+1

You are certainly not at any increased risk of having an implant rupture due to cabin pressure changes, if you travel in a commercial airliner after having had implant surgery.  This is an urban legend - go and enjoy your travels!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Can Breast Implants explode when flying at high altitude?

+1

When flying the cabin is pressurized and we are not exposed to high altitude pressure changes and neither are our breat implants. However, even if implants were to be exposed to the outside pressures at 37,000 feet elevation no damage would happen. 

This urban myth has been around for a while. It was featured and busted on the TV show Mythbusters. You may want to look it up. 

Safe to fly with breast implant

+1

It is quite safe to fly with saline or silicone implants. There is no risk of rupture with either flying or even deep sea diving.  I have had one patient whose implants ruptured with a high velocity direct impact with automobile airbags, but the ususal cause of rupture of breast implants is usual wear and tear of the implant.  Enjoy your travels.

Sandra L. Margoles, MD
Greenwich Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Is there a Risk of Implant Explosion of Breasts During Commercial Flying?

+1

I am unaware of this as a risk of breast implants and, in view of the large number of women who have implants, it seems unlikely that this wouldn't be described more often (if at all) if there were any substance to the concern.  I would agree with your surgeon and encourage you to move forward with your career.

And to be extra nice if one of your passengers ever accidentally spills his drink because he wasn't being careful enough...

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Is there a Risk of Breast Implant Explosion During a Commercial Flight?Answer:

+1

no..no explosion...ear popping, yes...Breast Implant popping, no...But I did hear a story once about something really bad happening to a woman on a plane that flushed the toilet while seated....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Do Not Explode when Flying

+1

Breast implants do not explode with commercial flying.  Any article describing flying, cruising, landing, etc as the cause of breast implants exploding or leaking is false.   

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Exploding breast implants

+1

If breast implants exploded in the air , then there would be alot of accidents out there from all the women with them!

Breast implants do not explode during air travel

+1

I don't know where you might have heard such things, but simply put, breast implants will not explode during air travel. Fly with peace of mind.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Exploding Breast Implants

+1

Your breast implants are just as likely to explode during flight as you are, because saline and silicone tend to expand at the same rate as our bodies. It's not something worth worrying about.  This question comes up often enough that it was the topic of an April 1st blog article last year. If you search "exploding" on my blog, or google "exploding breast implants april fools mele" there is more technical detail to ease your mind. Happy flying.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon