Having Pain As Well As White Stringy Substance Coming From Drains 1 Week Post Op. What To Do?

The place where my drains are placed hurt really bad. Also I have white string like stuff coming out into the bulbs, is this normal? The pain med's that I have are not helping with all the pressure and this pain where the drains are inserted...is there anything I can do to ease the pressure?

Drain Questions after breast reduction

+1

Have your surgeon take a look at your wounds and drains .The "stringy" stuff is likely normal though. I usually don't use drains after a reduction. They are often not needed.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Pain at drain site

+1

Pain at the drain site it not unusual and neither is "white, string like stuff." However, you should probably have your surgeon check to make sure that it is normal for you and there is nothing else going on. Sometimes gauze under the drain to protect it from rubbing directly on the skin can help but your surgeon should check you and can make suggestions. You may need a different pain medication, for example. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Drains After Breast Surgery?

+1

What you are experiencing with the drains ( including the “white stringy substance”) is normal. Sometimes the discomfort around drains can be decreased by using a supportive gauze dressing/tape that prevents movement of the drain  and friction on the skin next to the drain.  Make sure there is no tension/pulling  on the drain as well.

Please follow the plastic surgery to check for signs of infection around the drain that may also cause discomfort. Hopefully the drains can be removed quickly.

Breast reduction

+1

Pain at the drain sites are common.  The stringy material is probably coagulated blood products.  Does not sound like an infection.  Please have your plastic surgeon check it.  415.923.3800

Shahin Javaheri, MD