Weight The Same After Reduction, Shouldn't It Be Lower? When Does Swelling Subside?

Had breast reduction surgery on Sept 27. Weight went up after surgery and now is back to pre-surgery level. But since I had several pounds of breast tissue removed, shouldn't I weigh less?

Breast Reduction and Weight loss

+2

The total weight of breast tissue usually removed during a breast reduction surgery is usually from 2lbs to 5lbs.   This is a small percentage of your total body weight .  

Therefore, the change may not be noticeable on your  on bathroom scale,  Also. most women have fluctuations in weight due to water retention during  menstrual periods.

Breast Reduction and Weight Loss

+2

The amount of breast tissue removed usually doesn't amount to a noticeable weight loss. Retaining water and being inactive during recovery can show up on the scale. Most of the swelling and bruising should resolve in approximately 1 week, but allow at least 2 weeks for recovery. Strenuous activity should be avoided for 3 to 4 weeks. Maintain a healthy diet and start or continue an exercise program once healed for optimal results. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Weight change after breast reduction

+2

The weight of the tissue removed in breast reduction surgery is usually pretty small relative to the total weight of the patient. Ladies can gain weight elsewhere and even the swelling after surgery can result in a short term weight gain. Total weight after surgery therefore varies quite a bit.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and breast reduction

+2

Your weight fluctuates for many different reasons. Being that you just had surgery, perhaps becuase your activity level is lower your weight did not go down.

Breast Reduction and Weight After Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question.  There are many variables associated with your current weight, having had surgery recently. These variables include fluid shifts as well as possible overall weight gain (during this period of inactivity). If you eliminated these variables then your weight would be less since you did have tissue removed from the breasts.

My suggestion: don't worry about it.  Hopefully your only regret after the surgery, which tends to be highly patient pleasing, is that you wish you had done it earlier.

No weight loss after breast reduction

+1
The effects of anesthesia and fluid retention from the IV fluids you received during Tyne operation would result in an initial, small weight gain. This should resolve as the edema or swelling in the tissues subsides. You may see a small difference in the scale in the weeks to come. I would encourage you to commence walking and a sensible exercise regimen when your doctor clears you to do so as, without the excess stress on your back and shoulders, you should be able to byrn mire calories now without pain!

Robert L. Kraft, MD