No Bra post-Breast Augmentation??

I just had my breast done 4days ago.I was a 32b and i wanted a full C so he put 350cc of saline in me. Now the next day after my surgery he told me no bra for 3weeks so they can drop.I been in soo much pain so i went back in to see him. now he put a sports looking bra on me!? one looks bigger than the other. i just dont know what to make of this. im alil confused. can someone help me understand why he would say no bra and then tell me wear a bra. he says the implants are ok but one looks bigger?

Post operative routines are surgeon dependent.

+3

If you ask 10 plastic surgeons what they do postoperatively, you are likely to get 10 different answers. It sounds as though your plastic surgeon placed you in a bra because of your discomfort. If the lower portion of the breast is tight following an augmentation, then it takes time for the weight of the implants to stretch this tissue and allow for the proper positioning/shape of the breasts to develop. Theoretically, if you aren't wearing a bra, this may happen faster. However, if you are in a lot of discomfort, a bra can help with this pain while you heal. The breast and skin will stretch to accommodate the implants over time with or without a bra. As far as asymmetry is concerned, if you were asymmetric to begin with, this difference is often magnified with an augmentation. However, 4 days post-op is FAR too early to judge your results. Swelling in one breast may be greater than the other. Give yourself 3-4 months to heal, for the implants to settle, and for the swelling to resolve before judging your results.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bras and Breast Augmentation

+3

Every doctor has a protocol for post-op care based on his/her own experience...but you do deserve to understand the thought process.  You bring up several issues and I hope I can help make some sense of this for you.

Bra vs No Bra: In my experience, the purpose of the bra in the immediate post op period is only to hold dressings, and to minimize motion and pulling, as this will affect your comfort.  Reducing motion and having the bra act to provide some compression also reduces some initial swelling.  It's my routine to switch patients from a surgical bra to either a more comfortable sports bra- or no bra at all- after the first post-op visit around day 2-3.

Implants 'dropping': I believe this concept is confused by tissue 'stretch'.  The 'hardness' of the top of the breasts frequently seen in the initial post-op period is usually related to the appearance of a tight muscle stretched over the implant.  As the muscle adapts to the implant underneath, it eventually stretches, giving a 'softer' appearance to the upper part of the breast.  The change that the breast is not as 'tight' in it's upper pole gives the sensation that the implant position has actually lowered.  In my experience this isn't really the case.

Asymmetry: As you are only on Post-Op Day 4, it's way too soon to evaluate your result for symmetry of size or shape.  There should not, however, be a dramatic difference in size.  If this is the case you should visit your surgeon to rule out the possibility of hematoma, infection, or any other abnormal process.  In my experience, almost all cases of early assymetry are just part of the normal healing process.

I hope this helps...Dr. Newman

Breast assymetry

+1

He probably told you to wear a bra for your comfort.It is only 3 weeks so there may be soem size discrepancy so give it till 2-3 months

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Post Operative Bras

+1

Each plastic surgeon has their own, individual post operative breast augmentation protocol; this protocol changes throughout the surgeon's career and varies according to the individual patient and surgery.

Your plastic surgeon's usual protocol is probably to have his patients avoid wearing a bra as much as possible for the first three weeks after a breast augmentation to allow the breast implants to "fall" as quickly as possible.  Your plastic surgeon probably told you to start wearing a sports bra after you complained of pain in the hopes that the sports bra might offer a small amount of support and help alleviate your pain.  However, it is doubtful that wearing a sports bra or not wearing a sports bra will have any long-term affect on your final results.

Additionally, it is not uncommon for your breasts to be a little uneven after breast augmentation.  This asymmetries should dissipate with time as the swelling decreases, your muscles and skin relax, and the implants descend into their final position.  Your final result will not be visible for at least 6 months.

I recommend that you try to relax and continue to follow your plastic surgeons postoperative instructions.  Make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon immediately if you have increasing pain, drainage from your incisiona, or other signs of infection.

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com

Breast augmentation recovery

+1

It is very early to make any assumptions about your final result.  Swelling may take 3 months to resolve, so hang in there until then.  If you're in pain, make sure you are being followed or at least seen frequently to make sure you don't have any infection.

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

No Bra post-Breast Augmentation??

+1

Blondie,

All plastic surgeons have their own manner of managing their postoperative patients.  I have 4 partners and we all manage our post ap breast augmentation patients differently.  I personally have them wear a bra for 3 weeks in order to assist with postoperative pain.  However, I do want the implants to drop, so I do ask them not wear a "tight" bra for approximately 6 weeks.  As to the uneveness, don't worry at this time.  You were barely 1 week post op and it is not uncommon for one side of the body to swell more than the other.  Good luck.

To Bra or not to Bra after Augment

+1

This is a very common question I get from my patients.  I typically do not like my patients wearing a bra for an augmentation unless it is a combined augmentation mastopexy(lift).  I want to allow the implants to sit in the pocket I created rather than pushing them up.  Your surgeon may have put you in  a bra to give you some support because of your complaint of pain.  Each breast is different.  Size, shape, volume, tightness of skin and contour of your rib cage all contribute to how your breasts look.  I don't want my patients worrying too much about how things look immediately after surgery. It takes time for tissues to relax etc for the final outcome.  You should get a pretty good idea by 3 months and things will continue to take shape over the period of a year.  Right now try to focus on taking care of yourself and following your surgeons instructions.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bra after breast augmentation - depends.

+1

Some surgeons wrap the chest, others use bras and some don't use anything. It depends on your surgeon. Wearing a bra to tight may lead to the implants sitting and or healing to high in position. If an implant is sitting to high, the breast may appear larger. This early postoperatively, it may be hard to tell. Your surgeon should have preoperative photographs that can evaluate if one breast was larger to start with. Most women have some asymmetry of their breasts.

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

Every surgeon will have a different protocol for after surgery care. It sounds like he had you wear the bra after telling you not to because you were complaining of pain. Without seeing a photo it's hard to comment on one looking larger than the other. Your surgeon would be the best person to answer these questions as everyone here would only be guessing.

Bra VS. NO Bra after Breast Augmentation?

+1

The short answers are: "maybe" and "it depends on your surgeon".

In breast augmentation surgery, the Plastic surgeon creates a pocket / space for the implant under the breast (and under the pectoralis major muscle, in most cases). The dimensions of the pocket must be just larger than those of the intended breast implant. If the pocket is TOO small - the breast look overly tight and too round. If it is too large - the implants will be too low (with star gazing nipples), meet in the center ("uni-boob") or fall off the chest wall. You do not need to look hard to find many such examples around you.

Most detail-fixated Plastic surgeon sit their patients up in the OR during breast augmentation to make sure the implants are exactly where they need to be BEFORE closing. If things look great during surgery, you know they would look this way when the swelling resolves.

There is no need to wear any support in the immediate post-operative period because inflammation in the muscle and lower breast envelope pushes the implants a little higher than they were in surgery. By not supporting the higher implants with a bra, we are allowing gravity to return them to where they ought to be - the same position they were during surgery.  Once the implants are in that position, I ask my patients to begin wearing a bra to MAINTAIN the implants in that position (centered right behind the nipple complex). If women do not wear bras after surgery, gravity will stretch the breasts and pull the implants inferiorly rapidly hastening breast sagging. (Obviously, this occurs faster with larger implants).

I hope this was useful.

Peter A Aldea, MD