3 Months Post Breast Augmentation: Experiencing Pain

it's been a week now that i feel localized pain on my left breast(the pain is like a bruise). i feel the pain on the sides of my left nipple toward my left arm. i also feel the pain on the incision site after i wear my none wire bra(like there's a feeling of heaviness),everytime i bend over(this time on the side of the left nipple again but extending medially)& when sleeping on my left side. is this something serious or it's just a sign of drop and fluff? thank you for the replies docs.

3 months post-breast augmentation - experiencing pain.

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.  Your description sounds typical for your nerves regnerating.  If this continues or worsens, seek attention from your surgeon for advice. 

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Best to ask your plastic surgeon

+1

It might be some resolving nerve pain, but best to ask your own physician. In general, they are the best ones to ask first.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Pains in the breast 3 months following a breast enlargement

+1

There can be numerous reasons that you are experiencing the discomfort that you describe 3 months following a breast enlargement. Some possibilities include breast cysts, localized inflammation, capsular contracture, scarring or even muscle related issues. You should contact your plastic surgeon who can then provide you with a precise answer.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast pain after breast augmentation

+1

It's not unusual to experience pain three months after your breast augmentation procedure since the nerves are still under stretch to a certain degree. If this is a new sensation or pain I recommend seeing your plastic surgeon for a complete examination.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Postoperative breast pain

+1

It is not unusual to have sharp pains intermittently for some time (3-6 months) following breast augmentation. These pains usually resolve in frequency, duration and intensity with time. If they are getting worse, then you should consult with your surgeon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1
A new pain 3 months after surgery should be examined. There are numerous possibilities ranging from normal To capsular contracture.

David L. Abramson, MD

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Any time an unexplained pain occurs after surgery, it's a good idea to contact your surgeon to make sure everything is OK.  It is common for patients to experience different sensations of pulling or pinching as things settle after surgery.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Scar maturation with more time will likely improve your symptoms.

+1

If all else is normal and unchanged, then it is highly likely that your symptoms are a result of an immature scar.  The normal progress is for these symptoms to become progressively better with lower frequency and amplitude of discomfort.  Usually all symptoms resolve by 6 months.  If your discomfort deviates beyond these parameters, you should return to see your plastic surgeon.  He will be able to examine your breast to rule out other possible issues as well as provide you with insight on how to manage the discomfots during this period of scar maturation.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon