Does a Doctor Need to See Previous Medical Records Before Performing a Revision Rhinoplasty?

I saw a doctor here in NY who charged me $250 for a 10 minute consultation and provided me with no hope. He said my nose was bad and that he would need to get the previous doctors medical records before he can tell me if he could work on my nose. Couldn't he have looked inside my nose, feel my nose or something like that? The same with my chin. He said to provide him with an ex-ray of my chin to see what the pocket is like. $250 and I had to be rushed with my questions.

Records for revision

+1

Records of previous surgery is not always helpful but it can be of use if there is ever a question about what type of implant was used

Previous rhinoplasty records and revision rhinoplasty

+1

It is not mandatory, but is always best for your revision rhinoplasty surgeon to know what techniques were performed and how much cartilage was removed during your primary rhinoplasty. 

Previous Medical Records before Revision Surgery

+1

It is always best to have as much information as possible before doing a revision rhinoplasty. However, this is not always possible. Even with the previous operative report, surprises are possible. This is why we always recommend selecting a surgeon with revision experience.This week I did a revision on a lady from Lebanon; records were not available. I was very comfortable doing her surgery because the pre-operative nasal examination is generally reliable.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Before doing any revision for any surgery the Doctor need ALL the information before the surgery, you do not want any surprises during surgery.

If you call some one ro repair your airconditioner they will tell you just to come to you there is a charge.

So for your doctor to charge for a consult is not unusual for any proffession

Revision rhinoplasty can be complex

+1

The best approach to a revision rhinoplasty involves as complete a picture of the nose as possible.  A request for the medical records is a good idea. It may give the surgeon an idea of the likelihood of success in a revision procedure.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Any revisions surgery will benefit from previous medical records.

+1

It seem you saw that doctor on a bad day because as a surgeon, it is our duty to provide information which help you make an informed decision in a difficult situation.  Especially when one is charging for a visit, it should be as comprehensive as possible.  Without seeing your  nose, it is difficult to say what made the doctor respond in this manner.  I suspect that he has a good reputation with rhinoplasty because one could not survive very long with such an attitude.charging $250 for a consult.   If that is the case, then he likely has significant experience and may have seen a difficult problem to solve.  He did ask to see records which is important and appropriate in this setting.  I hope that this unfortunate experience has provided you with information on how to get the most of r your  next consult.  An accurate history of any previous surgery and medical issues along with any medications and allergies are some of the most important facts that a surgeon uses to help evaluate your needs.  I would normally  keep the initial visit short and waive the fee for a second visit with proper records if it was that important.  It is easier to charm a patient to proceed with surgery but it is our duty to do the most that we can in preparation for your case.  Especially in any secondary operation.  Good Luck 

Dennis J. Bang, MD

Rhinoplasty consultation

+1

It is always helpful to have as much information as possible.  Getting a previous op report is one of the things that helps with the planning.  You should not be rushed during your consult, go to a different doctor to get your questions answered.

Revison Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Sharpie,

I am sorry that you did not have a good experience with your recent consultation.

It is generally a great idea to obtain and review the previous surgeon's operative reports. This is done to  plan appropriately. It also saves time and can dramatically improve your results.

You probably should get your reports no matter who does the evaluation or your revision surgery.

Consider obtaining more consultations before deciding on the surgeon for your revision procedure.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Having prior medical records is important when performing revision surgery

+1

Although not absolutely essential, it is very important to know what was done on the nose or chin prior to operating on this. It is not unlike having to remodel a room without the blueprints.

An operative report may be helpful for your Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

+1

When a patient requires Revision Rhinoplasty, I will try to obtain the previous operative report to see what was done to the underlying bone and cartilage. These reports can be misleading, or incomplete, so they're not always helpful. As an example, I did a Revision Rhinoplasty this week that involved removal of a crooked tip graft. There was no mention of the shield graft in the patient's operative report.

Revision Rhinoplasty surgeries are some of the most challenging, and humbling procedures, so we as surgeons like to get as much information as possible before the revision.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon