What is the Procedure for Shaving Down a Bone Bump Left from Rhinoplasty Healing?

I had closed rhinoplasty about 8 months ago. (deviated septum, broken nose, hump) At my 6 week post-op visit, my doctor said that it appeared the bone had grown back kind of one piece on top of another on the top part of my nose. He said to wait about 6 months and then I could come back and it could be fixed in the office. The bump is still there but I am a little worried about getting it fixed..."shaving it down" while I'm not completely asleep sounds pretty horrible! How bad would this be?

+1
The best procedure for you is the one that makes you the most comfortable.  With that in mind, taking down a bump on the nose can be done under local anesthesia, but you should consider a bit of sedation at the same time.  

Minor bump revision

+1

A minor bump revision can be performed internally (closed) under light IV sedation - local anesthesia may be OK for some but not my choice

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Procedure for shaving down post rhinoplasty bump

+1
There is approximately a 10% revision rate for the rhinoplasty procedure. The most common reason for a revision after a primary rhinoplasty is to file a small bump down on the bridge of the nose. Sometimes the bump is comprised of bone, sometimes cartilage, and occasionally even both. This is simply a reflection of the healing process along the bridge and settling that occurs with the skin envelope of the nose. While shaving of a small bump down is a minor procedure, it is difficult to get the nose completely numb and can be rather uncomfortable trying to do this under local anesthesia. The nose has many different nerve endings and is difficult to completely numb up. It is painful to numb up the nose under local anesthesia to accomplish its minor touchup procedure. It is best to usually have even touchup procedures done under a very brief 15-minute general anesthetic.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/rhinoplasty_photos24.html

Revision Rhinoplasty with Local Anesthesia

+1

Shaving a small dorsal bump or rasping an irregularity can be done under local anesthesia.  Request sedation or a light general anesthesia if this does not appeal to you.

Revision Rhinoplasty under Sedation

+1

A small revision can be necessary after a previous rhinoplasty for trauma as there can be significant swelling and damage to the bone and cartilage beneath .  This, when subtle, can easily be done under local anesthesia with or without sedation.  Most patients can tolerate this relatively easily, akin to having a filling at the dentist's office.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

A simple dorsal rasp to revise an irregularity may be easy enough under local, but you may be more comfortable with sedation.

Bony hump on nose came back

+1

6 weeks after rhinoplasty your swelling has only subsided about 50%-60% .  The skin over the dorsum or over the hump is the thinnest skin on the nose and should come down even more.  In addition, this skin probably swelled more than other surrounding skin as taking down a hump can cause some trauma to this area of the skin.  Your best bet is to wait at least 9-12 months depending on your skin type - thicker skin takes longer to contract and shrink. 

Nevertheless, the nasal bone can regrow due to something called an osteoblastic response.  This is typically seen in younger patients.  Sometimes a revision needs to be done at 9-12 months to shave the hump down once more.  This can typically be done closed under twighlight or general anesthesia. 

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Dorsal hump can be rasped, but the skin need to redrape back nicely which may mean elevating the skin to allow it to redrape.

If your concern is the anesthesia you can ask to be put to sleep, general anesthesia.

Sometimes what seems a small problem require a major procedure to get the best results otherwise you will end up with worse results.

Have another opinion