Dizziness Normal After Taking Compression Garmet off Day 2 of Smart Lipo?

I had smart lipo Monday at 1pm on upper , lower abdomen and hips. I was advised to take a shower on day 2. When I took off my compression garmet from after surgery I almost passed out and was extremely light headed. I laid down and was fine after that. Any thoughts ?

Smart Lipo and post operative Dizziness

+2

It is not unusual to experience dizziness following smart lipo especially after removing the compression garment for the first time.  The decreased pressure of garment removal combined with the warm shower water probably causes a vaso-vagal effect.   The nervous system causes the veins to dilate and this results in decreased blood pressure.  This effect will decrease over time as you heal but be careful for the next couple of weeks when you remove your garment.  Best wishes. 

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment off at 2 Days and Dizziness

+1

Dizziness from the release of pressure of the garment 2 days after liposuction that is alleviated by lying down is likely a vasovagal response that sometimes people can get.  It is the same phenomenon that occurs for patients who fear needles and faint at the site.  The cause is different, but the result is similar.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Dizziness when removing garment after Smart Lipo

+1

Thanks for your question.  It is quite common to get dizzy the first time you remove your garment 2 days after Smart Lipo.  You may be a bit dehydrated after your procedure and so your blood pressure may drop the first time you remove it.  Make sure you drink lots of Gatorade or vitamin water to stay hydrated and replenish your electrolytes.

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Dizziness 2 days after surgery

+1

Sometimes patients have a vaso-vagal response early after surgery when they are dehydrated, etc..  That's most likely what happened but it is a good idea to check with your surgeon.

Dizziness after Smart Lipo

+1

We advise our patients to sit down while taking the compression garment off; then take a shower and let the water rinse off the gauze pads. This way it will be easier for you to remove the garment without getting lightheaded.

Bruce E. Katz, MD