It is Okay to Fly Without a Compression Garment 6 Days Post Lipo? I'm a Flight Attendant.

I am heavier from my lower body so planning to do outer thighs love handles and arms.kindly suggest which type of anaesthesia is recommended..thankyou

Flying and liposuction

+2

I select the type of anesthesia for liposuction based on how long the procedure is expected to take and how much is going to be removed including the number of areas to be treated. I do the treatment with the newest Smart Lipo Triplex system. If the areas are limited to those discreet areas of only the outer saddlebag, the love handles and the arms then this can be done with light intravenous sedation and tumescent technique. If there is a lot of contouring to do in your thighs, and the procedure is expected to last over 3 to 4 hours than I would perform this with either a general anesthesia technique or epidural and sedation with a anesthesiologist. I recommend using a compression garment for at least 2 weeks. Things are typically too swollen and will be quite uncomfortable if it is removed too soon. 

Anesthesia and Smart Lipo

+1

Thank you for your question.  The type of anesthesia is dependent upon the number of areas that are being considered for Lipo, your health status, your tolerance for discomfort, and the length of the procedure.  Safety is always the #1 priority.  As for wearing the compression garment, I always recommend it be worn continuously for 2-4 weeks and potentially up to 6 weeks for longer more invasive procedures.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Laser Lipo Post Op Recovery - Garment

+1

Thank you for your question. I  would recommend wearing your compression garment to help keep the swelling down and tighten up the skin.  The longer you wear the garment, the better results you will get.  Laser liposuction on outer thighs, love handles, and arms can be done safely via local anesthesia.  Although, the amount of anesthesia that can be used safely is dependent on the patient's weight.  I would recommend getting a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment options. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

+1

In general, I recommend 4 to 6 weeks of wearing the compression garment following surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction, anesthesia, post op flying and compression garment

+1

Given the size and number of areas you are considering to have treated with liposuction, I would probably recommend general anesthesia.  You will be more comfortable and your surgeon will be able to do a more thorough liposuction.  With regard flying and compression garments, the decreased cabin pressure can  contribute to post operative swelling.  If you don't want to wear a heavy duty post operative compression garment, I would still suggest you wear a light compression garment such as a Spanx.  Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Flying After Liposuction

+1

Doing that many areas will probably require general anesthesia because of the limit of how much local anesthesia can be put in at one time.  In other words, if your surgeon has to dilute the local anesthesia for all those areas to keep under the dose limit, you may be more uncomfortable during the procedure.  So general anesthesia would therefore be wise.  For SmartLipo I usually limit compression to no more than 2 weeks.  A lighter compression, like a Spanx garment for longer is fine.  Flying after 6 days without compression as a passenger might be fine, but if you're working the flight that's another story - you'll likely still be in some pain, and expect to swell.  You might want to rethink that. If you're getting conventional liposuction, even more so.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment timeline

+1

I recommend wearing the compression garment for at least one week. Since your body tends to swell on a plane wearing the garment will help.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Compression garment

+1

Liposuction recovery is usually a bit easier than most other surgical procedures. As for the garment I prefer it be worn for 3-6 weeks.  Best to ask your surgeon.