If You Did Not Bruise/swell Much After Ultherapy, Will Results Be As Good?

I had ultherapy 2 days ago on lower face (from under cheekbones to upper neck) and I did not bruise at all and swelling is very minimal with no tenderness on cheeks. I had a little over 600 lines total. Will my results still be as good as someone who bruised and swelled for days? Thanks.

Ultherapy and bruising

+1
Ultherapy success is not associated with bruising - as a matter of fact, bruising and swelling is trivial with Ultherapy in trained hands. So, not having bruising or swelling does NOT mean that you will not see clinical benefit after this procedure. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Bruising and swelling is very rare after Ultherapy

+1

Bruising and swelling is very rare after Ultherapy. In our practice, patients who bruise are usually the ones who request anesthetic nerve blocks to block the pain and that is what causes their bruising, not the Ultherapy. Some swelling can occur after Ultherapy but it is generally mild. There is no connection between the amount of swelling or bruising and the final result. Ultherapy works on the tissue under the skin and stimulates collagen and creates tightening. It does not disrupt the blood vessels or the lymphatic system in a way that should cause significant bruising.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ultherapy success and parameters for treatment - Los Angeles

+1

Bruising is not an indicator of success with the procedure.  We customize the treatment to accentuate collagen formation in the areas of fascial laxity.  Bruising is sometimes seen near the jowls. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Bruising with Ultherapy is not an indicator of effectiveness

+1

Whether or not someone bruises with Ultherapy is not an indication of potential results. Some patients will bruise because they take a lot of blood thinning supplements. Others will bruise and swell simply because they have skin that reacts to heat more strongly.

You still might see some bruising even after 2 days as the treatment focal depth is quite deep in the skin.

The ultrasound energy depth is predetermined by the system and the "tip" that is used. The 4.5 mm is the one that reaches most deeply with a 3 mm and optional 1.5 mm that address more superficial levels and skin texture.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Bruising and significant swelling is not needed for good lifting of facial sagging with Ultherapy

+1

Bruising is rare and is definitely not a prerequisite for a good result with Ultherapy for facial lifting.  Swelling does occur in some patients more than others, but to-date there is no scientifically proven approved concept that significant swelling is needed for a good result with ultherapy.  Many of my patients who did receive a very good result from Ulthreapy did not have significant swelling. The use of the superficial 1.5mm. deep transducer may help tighten fine lines but may cause more swellling.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ulthera results not dependent on swelling or bruising

+1

Although there is inherent variability in response to nonsurgical treatments such as Ultherapy, I have not noticed any correlation to swelling or bruising as it relates to long-term results. It relates more to the skin's ability to rebuild collagen, which diminishes with age. With 600 lines it sounds like you had a thorough treatment.

Richard Baxter, MD

What to expect after Ulthera Treatments

+1

There are some small risks associated with having an Ulthera treatment. Bruising and swelling is most common. About 90% of the patients treated in our office do not bruise or have noticable swelling. Just because you don't bruise or swell does not mean you didnt get a good treatment! You should feel great after your treatment and literally have NO DOWNTIME! Good luck with your results!

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Swelling

+1

Dear patient, You do not need to get swelling or bruising for great Ulthera results. Bruising is exceedingly rare. Most of my patients just feel tenderness and soreness for a few days after the procedure.

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist