Can Dermal Fillers Create a 'Browlift' Effect??

I'm not intested in Botox...too many terrible experiences with it!!! I would like a slight browlift on my lateral brows to get rid of some of the excess lid skin..browlift surgery recommended for my case. Can fillers simulate a browlift? If so, how does this work..ie., what area is it injected, what filler would be used, ? I don't have a lot of forehead wrinkling (yet), just want to open my eyes a little. Also, if filler is still there when I finally want surgery, will it be in the way?

Browlift Effect Possible with Fillers and Botox-But Find an Expert

+5

Dermal Fillers plus Botox or Dysport to relax the upper Obicularis or Eyelid muscle can create a small Brow Lift Effect.

However please take the time to search for an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with this technique.

I have had patients show up in my office with visible lumps of filler under their eyebrow after having this done by a novice doctor.

Brow lift, dermal fillers, subsequent surgery

+3

Dermal fillers can be used for peri-orbital rejuvenation and eyebrow lift.

Ideally Botulo-toxin ( to re balance muscle action to allow eyebrow being pulled up) and dermal filler ( will give ancoring effect to the eyebrow and change volume proportions to give appearance of higher eyebrows)used together will give the best result.

If you certain that to choose only dermal fillers then fillers like Radiesse, Laresse or Restylane SubQ are probably the best to be place at the lateral portion of the eyebrow's course to give that ancoring effect and to emphasize that part of the eyebrow. These fillers are more stable and can hold on longer.

Small deposits of finner dermal fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, Teosyal can be carefully placed to the upper orbital rim to increase slightly volume of the supra orbital space.

Subsequent surgery will be not a problem if you used Dermal fillers in the area -as they are not permanent. I would advised to consider endoscopic brow lift or lift with Silhouette threads.

Alexandra Chambers, MD
London Dermatologist

Volumizing Fillers Work Well for Nonsurgical Browlifts

+2

Age-related loss of volume along the brow region and in the temples can lead to sagging brows. Restoration of the volume, using volumizing fillers, such as Juvederm UltraPlus XL in th,ese areas can often restore enough volume to lift the brow a one or two millimeters, which is often sufficient to support and reposition the brow upward and allow for more exposure of the natural upper eyelid and make the eyes appear wider.

Exactly where and how much volume needs to be added will depend upon the skill and experience of the injector.  Owing to differences in anatomy, male and female brows require differing treatment approaches. As this treatment area requires a more sophisticated technique and a trained esthetic eye, only an experienced plastic or cosmetic dermasurgeon should be consulted. In properly selected cases, the results of this technique are immediate and gratifying. Although not absolutely necessary, the additional injection of microdroplets of Botox or Dysport in certainl locations, such as the tail of the eyebrow, can further improve the result and prolong its longevity.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Dermal Fillers for a Browlift

+2

To an extent, dermal fillers can create a lateral browlift effect.  Make up artists often use white eye shadow just below the lateral eyebrow to create the illusion of an elevated brown (for example, in front of a TV camera).  We take advantage of this "trick" using fillers.

- A little bit of filler strategically placed uner the lateral eyebrow itself can pick up the elevate slack just a bit, which can result in an elevation of the lateral eyebrow (1-3 mm).

- When this is combined with a small amount of strategically placed Botox, the combination of the two can be even better

- Furthermore, if a laser is used as in the case of DOT Therapy to "shrink" the skin between the brow and eyelid, this can further enhance the browlift effect.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD

+2

Fillers like Perlane can be placed along the superior orbital rim to increase the volume in that area.  the increased volume tends to lift the eyebrows slightly.

Eyebrow lift with dermal fillers and Botox Cosmetic

+2

You mention in the text of your question that you are not interested in Botox as a way to lift the eyebrows, however, the best effect with a nonsurgical eyebrow lift procedure would be with a combination of fillers and Botox.  I would suggest that you consult with a board-certified cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with proper training and experience in injectables and eyebrow rejuvenation.  Many horror stories that one hears comes from the fact that injections are performed by poorly trained or even non-medical personnel.

One of the things that happens as we mature is there is volume loss in the soft tissues, fat and bone of the face.  So essentially the scaffolding on which the skin is suspended gets smaller, resulting in sagging. For the lateral brows, it's the loss of that small "Faberge egg," the oval-shaped amount of soft tissue and bone that sits under the lateral tail of the eyebrow that makes the brow descend.

Dermal fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, Radiesse and Sculptra can be injected to recreate that "Faberge egg" and give lift to the lateral brow.

Botox Cosmetic can work in conjunction with the filler to add lift to the entire brow.  Injecting Botox into the muscles that pull the eyebrow down (procerus, corrugators and orbicularis oculi) will allow the frontalis, large forehead muscle to pull the brows up.

Both of these will help achieve the non-surgical eyebrow lift.  For severe sagging (which doesn't sound like what you are describing) a surgical brow lift would be needed.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers can simulate a browlift

+2

In some situations, dermal fillers such as Restylane, Juvaderm, or Radiesse can be used to give the appearance of a browlift. This is done by injecting fillers along the brow bone, This will make the brow bone slightly more prominent and will give your borw a "ledge" to rest on. This can give you a few millimeters of lift and in some cases, this is all that you require. make sure your plastic surgeon is familiar with this technique because fillers last a long time in this area and if the results are not good, you may have to live with it for a year.  Also, if you need significant elevation of your brow, only a surgical browlift will be appropriate.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Brow Lift

+1
A non-surgical brow lift can be done with Botox or Dysport.  Combining those injections with a filler such as Restylane will lead to a natural looking result.  I would suggest you consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of injection experience for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD

Browlift without surgery or Botox

+1
Fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane can augment the lateral brow to give a slight browlift.  Radio frequency has also been used off label to smooth this area.  Finally laser resurfacing to this area can tighten the skin a small amount.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Browlift with fillers

+1

Dear philsfan,

1. A little filler within the eyebrow can get you a slight lift
  2. This will last longer than Botox 
  3. If you use Restylane or Juvederm, this would not interfere with any future surgeries

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD