Dental Implants with Bone Loss on Jaw?

I have severe bone loss in my upper jaw, and the dentist wants to extract my teeth and give me dentures. I want dental implants, but with the amount of bone loss that may not be possible. Do I have options? Has anyone tried Emdogain or other bone regeneration techniques, or would bone grafting give me the bone I need? I really don't want dentures.

Patients with Severe Bone Loss Can Have a Successful Outcome with Dental Implants for Permanent Teeth

+3

With the latest technologies that we have as surgeons, Dental Implants can have a successful outcome for almost any patient who wants permanent teeth. With computer imaging and a CT scan we map out the bone quality and quantity to see where we can place dental implants using what is called “A Graftless Solution” and “Guided Technology” Nobel Biocare is a leader in this new technology allowing many patients to have extractions, and fixed permanent teeth the same day. These techniques are called Teeth in an Hour and Teeth in a Day and are specialized procedures that need to be performed by well-trained surgeons.

Baltimore Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Bone Grafts For Dental Implants

+2

There is no reason anyone can not get implants because of bone loss today.  There are several techniques for bone grafting including Platelet Rich Plasma (uses growth factors for your own blood), rhBMP (bone morphogenic protein), harvesting a patients own natural bone and using other cadaveric bone and bone substitutes.  There are also implant placement techniques, such as the All-On-Four which avoids the need for bone grafting if one so chooses. With CT Scans and computer guided implant placement this is a possibility  It all depends on what type of prosthesis you want in the end.  An overdenture vs individual implants and teeth vs. a bridge on dental implants.  I can honestly say that in my hands there is no reason for someone not to be able to have dental implants placed ( unless they have severe medical health issues which would prevent it)  Seek a consultation with a Board Certified Oral & Maxillofacial surgeon, they are the most qualified individuals and have more training in these complicated cases than any other specialist.

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Bone loss and Implants

+2

Modern surgical techniques allow for nearly anyone (in good health) to have implants. Bone can be added or grafted if necessary. Tissue can be grafted to add appropriate balance to the gum line in the esthetic zone.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants with Bone Loss on Jaw?

+1
In this situration, bone grafting is a way to go. It has advantages ( natural implant reconstruction) and disadvantages (donor site or lenght of treatment to allow for graft consolidation or graft infection). 
The other option is to anchor implants where there is bone that did not resorb ( cigomatic implants, pterigoid implants) and do an inmediate loading. 
It is a question of deciding what is your best option and develop the appropriate treatment plan...

Joan Birbe Foraster, MD, DDS, PhD
Spain Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dental implants with severe bone loss

+1
With very few exceptions,
Nearky any patient can have sufficient bone grafted onto their upper jaw to allow for dental implants placed. If the back part of the jaw is deficient in height then the sinus and be lifted. If the width of jaw needs to be widened, then a procedure called ridge augmentation can be done. In severe cases, grafting procedures may need to be done more than once.
One factor that can significantly affect the healing of grafting procedures is smoking. Smokers are far more susceptible to complications and potential failure than non-smokers

Richard Champagne, DMD
Freehold Cosmetic Dentist

Almost Never

+1
We have a periodontist who places implants in our office.  I have never seen a case where he could not place an implant.  He does have a great deal of experience placing implants.

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants and Bone Loss

+1
Implants are always an option. You need to have a CT scan taken to allow the periodontist or Oral surgeon to properly evaluate your bone. Often times, placing a bone graft at the time of extraction can make a big difference as well. As long as you are not immune compromised and not smoking, Implants may be an option.

Parnaz Aurasteh, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants and Bone Loss

+1

Even when bone loss is severe, it is possible to augment bone and place dental implants in most cases.  Usually major bone augmentation is done with patient's own bone, allograft bone material or a combination of boss. Emdogain in particular is an enamel matrix protein that will not be significant for this procedure.  In order to evaluate the outcome, your Periodontist must look at the amount of horizontal and vertical bone loss, the anatomy of the defect, and then treat/erradicate any periodontal disease prior to implant placement. 

If you don't have enough bone to replace all teeth with implants, you have several options available to you.  You may choose to go with a hybrid prosthesis (5-6 implants supporting a fixed denture without the flange) or an overdenture (2-6 implants supporting a removable denture).  These options may provide enough stability and comfort for you and may minimize the amount of procedures you need to have for implant placement.  Please discuss your concerns with your Board Certified Periodontist so he/she can present the best options for you.

Alina Krivitsky, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Bone loss and Dental Implants

+1

It is possible to place dental implants on a patient with severe bone loss. 

You will need a dentist who can graft your upper jaw bone if necessary. The grafting process can take some time and it can be costly.

A CT scan can reveal exactly how much bone you have remaining. 

Today the surgeries can be designed on a computer ahead of time to ensure that the implants are placed into adequate bone. 

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist