Dental Implant Prices: Why So Expensive?

I had an appointment with a dental implant office located in Chicago. They will put in four implants and attach an appliance. I will return in 6 to 9 months with periodic check-ups and at the end of 6 or 9 mo., they will then put in final appliance. They would like the entire amount paid up front. I am uncomfortable with this procedure as I have been in the business world many years and I know of no business that requires up front payment. What is your opinion on this payment method?

Methods of payment

+5

The cost should be able to be broken down into stages

1. Stage 1 which is extraction, grafting, and implant placement should be charged in the beginning. The provisional should also be included if one is being made.

2. Stage 2 which is the final restoration, should be paid 6-9 months after the implants are placed

There are many financing companies like Care Credit that will help with the financial burden and the office should be able to assist you with the process. Paying for the final prosthesis before the implants are integrated is a bit premature because the possibility of further surgeries or plan changes may occur.

Wichita Cosmetic Dentist

Trust in your dentist is a must, especially when it comes to complex dentistry

+4

This seems to be a question of trust. Implant dentistry is more complex than traditional dentistry. Thus, if you are not comfortable with your dentist and or their office policies, you should seek a dentist you are comfortable with.

Your dentist is your partner in your quest to a new healthy mouth. You will be making many stops in his or her office along the way. Trust is a must. You will know it when you have it!

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

We charge stagewise.

+1

. At our office, we mostly charge in parts for the dental implants. we charge for the first stage surgery at the time of implants placement and expect further payment at the time of second stage. In that case we can also modify our treatment plan if need be.

Gaurav K. Goel, MDS
India Cosmetic Dentist

Prepayment for Dental Implants

+1

In my office and any upscale dental office payment upfront is expected for all procedures that we do.  This is only smart business.  This is why we offer no interest financing through both Care Credit and Springstone financial.  They are both great and approve you in just minutes.  This allows you to get the benefits of the treatment now without having to pay for everything all at once.  Good luck.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implant pricing

+1

After over 25 years of placing and restoring Dental Implants one thing I have gotten away from is being the bank! For those who do not have the funds available and want the work done properly (because often you get what you pay for) I recommend one of the many finance companies I use. Some offer no interest financing on short term notes and low interest on longer term.

Joseph W. Worthington, DDS
Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Most businesses work this way

+1

It is a common business practice, actually. Groceries must be paid in advance. Cars must be paid for before driving off the lot (Ford motor corp is not the same as Ford vehicle financing, although they have similar names). Movie tickets are paid before entering. Houses are financed by a bank, but the builder is paid up front (or the arrangements are set in stone before building).

Every dental office has its own policy. Some offices have relaxed options, some have zero flexibility. One thing to remember is that, unlike a car financier, dentists cannot send a repo man to repossess or reclaim work that is not paid for. The only leverage is prior to treatment.

This is why the relationship is so important. The patient must trust that the dentist is capable and caring, and the dentist must like the patient. Without that, dental care should not be delivered (yes, I have refused to treat people I didn't like).

If you feel you have found the office that is right for you, perhaps following their policies is worth it.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implant Cost

+1

There are several factors that add to the cost of dental implant procedures. The dental implants and their associated parts themselves are quite costly to the surgeon placing them.  The doctor that is restoring the implants, whether it be a single crown, bridge, denture or full prosthesis has a lot of lab fees associated with the work.  All these fees alone add up into the thousands of dollars.  You should avoid any "Discount" Dental implant doctors because they are mostl likely using cut rate implants and possibly overseas labs.  Trust me, you get what you pay for.  If finances are an issue there are several fianace plans available to you which we use on a daily basis in our office ( Most of them are interest free to the patient, I pay the interest for the patient) Care Credit is a great example of this.  Patients love these options.  Paying up front for these procedures is the industry standard becasue the doctor is laying out thousands of dollars up front in his cost and overhead.  This is no different than purchasing your groceries or a car or a television.

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Re: Opinion about "up front" payment for implants

+1

I think when you are seeking specialized treatment in dentistry, such as implants, it is the normal procedure to pay for a consultation with the specialist and also, in full, if you decide to commit to this treatment. 

In our practice, i offer a complimentary consultation for all new patients, but if i refer them to our periodontist for implants or  our endodontist for a root canal, these specialists charge for their consultations, because of their expertise and are paid in advance for their procedures. Our office offers many different finance plans that charge no interest to accomodate our patients.

Hope this was helpful!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Paying for treatment upfront

+1

Placing expensive implants involves a lot of planning and expertise. The best implants are scientifically tested to be long-term solutions. Paying some money upfront is usually the norm, because once the implant has been inserted, then the implants are now part of your jawbone.

They cannot be removed in case of non-payment. The next steps would involve staged payments as well.

It would be more comfortable for the patient if the costs are staged and paid after or before each stage.

Sometimes the dentist cannot always progress to the next stage automatically.

Raj Kumar, BDS, LDSRCS
London Cosmetic Dentist