Which Should Be Done First: Braces or a Tooth Implant?

I need to get a tooth implant. I also need braces. Which should be done first? Or does it matter? Appreciate your help, I am "so confused".

Implants or braces first?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is another classic "it depends" answer.  Every dental implant and orthodontic case is different, with varying conditions, and goals for the outcome.  Most often, however, it is best to move the teeth to an ideal position (orhodontics) creating the appropriate spaces and anatomy, then place the implant.  However, it is quite common that dental implants are used as anchors for the orthodontic treatment, and of course in those cases the implants are placed first.

Plano Cosmetic Dentist

Orthodontics and Implants

Hi there,

I understand your confusion but the answer is really simple. You should go for orthodontics first.

Implants are something fixed in the bone  and they cannot move at all as they lack what is called as periodontal ligament which is present in natural teeth. So the braces should be done before and the implants should be done last.

Dalvir Pannu, DDS
San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Braces Are Almost Always Done First

In most cases braces are at least mostly completed before implant placement.  If the orthodontic treatment is nearing completion and a patient needs a posterior implant, then I will sometimes have the patient get the implant placed so healing can begin as the braces are getting ready to be removed, but that would require an ideal position with no further movement needed in the impant area.  It is not a good idea to have an impant placed an then try to move teeth around it.  You always treatment plan these cases with the end in mind prior to beginning them so everyone knows exactly what you are trying to end up with.

Gregory Allen Kerbel, DDS
Dallas Cosmetic Dentist

Usually, braces first before implant

One important thing to note is that an implant cannot be moved orthodontically. Therefore, generally, treatment should be directed to position all of your teeth so that the implant can be fit to the rest of your teeth instead of having your teeth move to fit your implant. Otherwise, you may find that your implant does not line up with the other teeth after straightening your teeth. t times, roots of the teeth may start off being tipped into the implant space and require "uprighting" to allow got implant placement.

The exception is in situations where the implant may be a useful anchor to help move the other teeth and can be placed the final desired location. Communication between your orthodontist and implant team is important to establish the final locations of the teeth to allow for proper placement of the implant and restoration.

Jason K. Tam, DDS
Toronto Orthodontist

Dental implant or braces first?

Typically, braces must be done first I order to move teeth I to ideal position. Once this happens, an implant can be placed in the spot missing a tooth. Since implants cannot be moved with braces, if the implant was to be placed first, you whole not be able to move teeth around to their ideal spots. There are unique situations where implants are used as anchors to help with braces and tooth movement but this is outside the scope of your question. So the smile answer is: braces first, implant second 

Herbert Veisman, DDS
Toronto Periodontist

Should a dental implant be placed before or after braces?

Naturally, every situation should be considered individually and all factors need to be taken into account.
That having been said, the vast majority of the time the orthodontics (braces) will be done first. One of the goals of the braces will be to create ideal spacing for the future placement of the dental implant. 
Braces are not only beneficial in making the teeth look nicer, they are also very useful in making the bite more balanced which will help to make the whole mouth healthier and

Richard Champagne, DMD
Freehold Cosmetic Dentist

Braces Dental Implants

Orthodontics, or Braces, moves the position of the teeth through the jaw. Ideally the teeth should be in their final position prior to placing a Dental Implant. This will guarantee ideal function and better esthetics.

The restorative Dentist placing the crown on the implant will have a better chance of creating a lifelike tooth if the Orthodontist, Implants Doctor, work with him/her to create the ideal site for a tooth. It is important that the braces remain on until all agree that the space required is adequate for the new tooth.

Orthodontics before Dental Implants usually

Ususally is it wise to have orthodontics performed prior to implant placement to make the space for the implant as ideal as possible.  There are some exceptions to this , but the majority of the time ortho is done prior to the implant placement for ideal results.  Seek the advice of you restoring dentist to see ehat is the best option for yourself

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Braces usually precede implants not always

Depending on the situation, usually braces should preced implants.  If you think of teeth as pins in a bowling alley you want them all set just right.  It is easier to gauge where any one specific pin goes if all the others are in the right place.  Usually, it is best to set the natural teeth where you want before you put an implant because the teeth can move within the bone and an implant can't.  An implant fuses with the bone in a way that it doesn't move like teeth do.

However, in some situations it may be part of the strategy to do implants first and then the braces.  Implants can provide anchorage once they have fused with the bone.  Strategically placed implants can act as posts that the natural teeth can be pulled towards or away from.  Implants can make braces go much faster and have been credited with "changing the paradigm of othodontics".

I apologize if this is confusing, but in summary, depending on the situation implants may be indicated before or after braces.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist