Does Medicaid Cover Dental Implants?

I need a few teeth pulled, filled and implants to replace them. I can only pay with Medicaid. Who can I go to that would accept Medicaid?

Medicaid and dental implants

+4

Medicaid covers extractions of the teeth, majority of fillings and removable prosthesis. Implants and all types of implant supported prothesis are an elective type of treatment and Medicaid does not cover that. Removable denture can be a temporary option while you will be able to discover other options like financing through CareCredit, Chase or Springstone. Majority of the patients who have Medicaid insurance cover the costs of more improved options like implants to support the overdenture, fixed options to restore the missing teeth. Once the quality of life, functional ability and esthetics is tremendously improved you will appreciate your financial investment in this type of treatment.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Will Medicaid Cover the Dental Implants I Need?

+1

No, unfortunately not.  Medicaid was designed to take care of a few basic treatments, and certainly not more sophisticated and elaborate elective treatments like dental implants.  Unfortunately, their feeling is, and not unlike many dental insurance companies, is that they will cover the "least costly alternative", and almost always this means not getting the absolute best treatment.  When a tooth is lost Medicaid will generally cover a partial denture, but rarely if ever even a fixed bridge, let alone a dental implant.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Medicaid and Dental Implants

+1

The cost of treatment is not covered by medicaid. Dental implants are a relatively expensive procedure. 

Unfortunately dental insurance and medicaid do not put a high value on people having teeth. According to them having teeth is a luxury. They will cover you if your tooth is infected and it becomes a risk to your health. 

Some medicaid plans will cover dentures not anchored to implants.

Having teeth supported by dental implants is considered an elective procedure so the patient is usually responsible for most of the payments.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Medicaid=no implant coverage

+1

Medicaid is very limited in what they cover. They will not cover implant dentistry. Payment plans should be available via your local dentist if you are able to afford it. I would call around yuor local area.

Marielaina Perrone, DDS
Henderson Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants are Not Covered by Medicaid

+1

Unfortunately, Medicaid does not cover dental implants. Medicaid varies from state to state, but no states medicaid system cover dental implants. Many dental insurance providers now have some dental implant coverage based on the individual plans. There are several fiance options that many doctors offer, at no interest to the patient as well.  Remeber this is a lifetime investment, it may seem costly at first, but once time is factored in it is actually less expensive then other treatment options because they generally do not fail or need replacement

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Medicaid Coverage for Dental Implants

+1

No. Medicaid is designed to cover only necessary dental treatment. This is determined on a state to state basis. My practice is in California and most dentists to do not take medicaid patients....here it is called Dentical.  The state has cut back so on this program, that dentists do not participate any longer. In California, only children up to 21 are covered for necessary treatment. If you are over 21 you are out of luck. The program does not cover ANY dental treatment unless you are pregnant and your dental condition could affect the outcome of your baby's health and yours. It will cover patients 21 and older that are disabled and are living in an assisted living center.  If you are on Medicaid, I would check and see what exactly your state allows because they are all different. There are programs such as Care Credit, Chase Health Advance that offer financing plans but you have to have good credit in order to qualify. My suggestion is go to a University in your state that has a dental school and they can work out some sort of treatment plan for you. You will be on a waiting list, but at least you can get the necessary treatment done and have a healthy mouth. I am so sorry and good luck!

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants Not Covered by Medicaid

+1

Medicaid only covers procedures that are considered to be absolutely necessary such as extractions, fillings, removable dentures, exams, etc.  Dental implants are considered an elective procedure and therefore you would get no coverage through Medicaid.  If you want an implant and have good credit you could apply for a loan through Care Credit. If approved, you could pay for the procedure over a period of time, while getting the benefit of the implant now.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Medicaid restrictions

+1

Unfortunately, dental implant therapy is not a covered benefit with Medicaid plans.  

Implant therapy is not  a covered benefit on many dental insurance plans.  Many patients use outside financing, such as Care Credit, to make implant therapy affordable by spreading out the costs over time.  

Kristen Berning, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

No

+1

The short answer is no, they will not cover the expense of implants.  You may be able to set up a payment plan with your dentist or CareCredit, to help you afford the treatment you desire.

Kimberly Johnson Genc, DDS
Newport Beach Cosmetic Dentist