Deflating a Breast Implant at Home

The left side of my breast implant has deflated since April 2010. I do not have funds to have my other breast removed at a doctors. I've checked into warranty and they will cover replacing the bad implant, but just the implant not the surgical cost. I live paycheck to paycheck now and have not been able to afford to even go to a doctor so they can at least deflat the other side. Would like to do this myself, however I want to do this without causing more damage, infection, etc.

What to do when one side deflates?

+1

As my colleagues have mentioned, doing a deflation yourself has considerable risk to it.  Resident clinics can certainly help.  You will also void the warranty on the intentionally deflated side. 

An alternative for you is to use a "falsie" manufactured from a nylon stocking and rice.  This is simple to do and will provide symmetry of your chest under clothing. 

If your deflated shell is creating palpable pointy edges on your skin, you may want to also get your deflated implant removed.  This is a procedure that can be done under local so costs can be minimal.  Should you do this, that deflated implant will have to be sent back to the manufacturer for you to receive your new implant down the road. 

Of these choices, assuming your good side still looks good, filling your bra cup with rice in a stocking is the simplest choice and it doesn't require much money.  Make sure yoh have your deflation documented by someone so that you will qualify for your warranty implant in the future shoud you desire to pursue this again.

Deflating My Own Breast Implant

+1

Please do not deflate the implant yourself. This is a list of some of the risks of doing this:

1. Infection

2. Hematoma

3. Pneumothorax (collapsed lung)

If you get any one of these, you will need to be seen by a doctor anyway and most likely will incur even greater charges.

As others mentioned, University Hospitals typically have Resident clinics where cosmetic procedures are performed at much reduced rates.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Typically the warranty not only covers replacement of implants, but also money that goes towards the cost of another surgery. This amount is typically around $1200.

Babak Dadvand, MD

Breast Self Deflation

+1

Please do not attempt to deflate your own implant. Contact your original boasd certified plastic surgeon and ask about your financial options. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast contouring, #BreastAugmentation, #Breastlift, #mastopexy, #highprofilebreastimplants, www.dtrevorborn.com

+1

Dear Myrtle Beach6020

thank you for your question.  Do not deflate your own implant.  I am sure your surgeon will do this for you!! BTW- is a good thought - but the execution should be done professionally. Have your surgeon contact the company- perhaps they will help!  If there is a Plastic Surgery teaching program near by then the cost may be minimal or nothing to have your implant repalced.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Deflating breast implants

+1

Dear Myrtle Beach,

Deflating your own breast implant is NOT recommended.  You could inflict significant on yourself.  Keeping deflated implants in your body is also not recommended.  You may be able to find a plastic surgeon to deflate your intact implant with the provision that you have it removed when you are in a better financial position.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

How to Deflate a Saline Implant.

+1

Deflating a saline implants is a simple procedure, but should only be performed by a trained professional. Potential complications include, but are not limited to, bleeding, hematoma, infection, collapsing a lung and even death. I would call your plastic surgeon first, and see if some arrangement can be made for minimal or no cost. It can be done safely in the office using sterile technique.

Leaving a deflated implant inside the breast is not ideal. Without the volume inside, the shell has no support, and will often fold upon itself. The scar around the shell may become tight, and the folded implant may begin to poke you. This can lead to erosion where the skin is thin, and exposure of the implant requiring removal.

When an implants deflates, replacing the deflated implant is the most common course of action. I understand that finances are a problem for you, but removing both implants, would be a better option than deflating the full side. By removing both implants, it is unlikely that further surgery would be necessary. Again, replacing the deflated implant is the most common course of action, but this leaves the possibility of needing another surgery in the future.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Deflating implants?

+1

I would not recommend going to a doctor jsut to deflate your implant, and I certainly would tell you not to do it yourself. You can cause an infection, or even a pneumothorax( collapsed lung).  Somehow find a way to pay for your surgery.  You can always go to a resident clinic at a training program, perhaps they can help you.

Please call the surgeon who did the surgery to deflate your implant

+1
The cost if deflation is minimal and the surgeon who did your surgery should do it for free. The procedure take 10 min and requires only a syringe and needle. The risk of infection and cellulitis high if not done with sterile technique.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Not a "do it yourself" kind of job

+1

Sure you can try changing your own oil or building your own bookcase, but deflating a breast implant yourself is not a good idea.  Infection and bleeing can occur, which could lead to worsening complications.  I agree that you may be able to find a plastic surgery residency program that may provide a free option, but also I would think you could find a compassionate plastic surgeon in your community that would be willing to deflate your implant for $100 or less.  Of course, this is all assuming that it is saline implants that you have.

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Deflating a saline implant

+1

I would strongly advise against attempting to deflate your own implant.  Although the asymmetry is certainly troublesome, the potential infection and additional complications that could occur from "operating" on yourself greatly outweigh the benefits.  Alternately, you might search for a hospital with a  "resident clinic," where a senior resident, under the supervision of an attending surgeon, to have this implant deflated for a small cost.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon