Implant Exchange in Doctor's Office? Cost?

I had breast implants done about two years ago and I am looking to increase my size. Can an implant exchange be done in the dr's office? And what is the approx. cost associated with this?

Breast Implant exchange requires a surgical procedure

+2

Exchanging your implants for a different size is more than simply pulling out the old one and putting in a new one. It requires sterile technique, a bloodless surgical field, and proper anesthesia. It oftentimes requires revision of the old imlant pocket so that the new implant fits well in the space. Different size implants have different dimensions and shapes so adjustments need to be made inside the breast pocket to accomodate this.  So the bottom line is that this is still a surgical procedure and still needs appropriate anesthesia - either sedation or general. Make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon.  If your doctor ahs an accredited operatiing room in his office as many of us do, than this can be done in the office setting.

Implant Exchange Fees

+1

Breast implant exchange fees vary from practice to practice and even in the same city.  We start our fees at $3000 + MD Anesthesia fees for implant exchange with saline implants.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Implant Exchange

+1

Implants can be exchanged.  Choose your plastic surgeon and surgical facility carefully.  Make sure the surgeon is board certified and the facility has AAAASF accreditation. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Implant exchange

+1

If you have a soft capsule around the implant and are simply having your implant exchanged, you can have this operation with iv sedation ("twighlight sleep").  If you need your capsule worked on, I would suggest general anesthesia.  In my office, implant exchange including the OR fee, anesthesia (IV sedation), silicone implants and my care is about $4800.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Exchange

+1

Breast implant exchange is a common procedure that can be performed in the office (if the office is licensed appropriately) or in the hospital or surgicenter.  Costs vary greatly between surgeon and between cities, so you really need to get estimates from your local surgeons. 

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Implant exchange

+1

An implant exchange is a surgical procedure and I assume you mean that the doctor has an accredited operating room in his office. If not, then I would schedule your surgery in an accredited out-patient facility.  If he said it is being done in his office without this facility, I would go somewhere else.

+1

Cost for implant exchage will depend on whether you want saline or silicone, and if you have any scar tissue that will need to be removed.  Be sure to choose a physician whose facility is accredited, as this will provide you with the best and safest environment.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants should be placed in an accredited facility

+1

These days with the increasing expectation of safety all cosmetic surgery should be performed in an accredited facility, and not in a doctor's office. You deserve the best outcome, and the highest safety standards in a facility which is peer reviewed for quality on a regular basis. Nothing short of this will do.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast implant exchange should be performed in an accredited facility

+1

A breast implant exchange is a real surgical procedure and should be treated as such. It is not just a matter of simply taking out 1 implant and putting in another without regards for issues like sterility, pocket condition, capsule, etc. The surgery should be performed in an accredited facility such as an outpatient center (that is accredited) by a board certified plastic surgeon. If you attempt to cut corners, you may ultimately end up paying a lot more - and in many ways.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast implant replacement should be done in a surgical facility.

+1

Cost will vary, but any breast surgery especially with implants needs to be done in an accredited surgical facility. This type of facility may very well be in a plastic surgeon's office, but you should ask specifically to be sure. Implant exchange is not usually a complicated or lengthy procedure.

Richard Baxter, MD