Hyperpigmentation After Breast Reduction

i had breast reduction surgery a year year and a half ago and since then have had dark patches of skin around the scars... i am very self conscious about this and was wondering what caused it and what i can do to help it?

Breast Reduction and Hyperpigmentation?

+1

The “dark patches” you are describing may be residual dark areola skin ( that could not be removed during the breast reduction surgery without distorting breast shape). Otherwise, you are dealing with hyper pigmented scars. Usually these scars tend to fade and blend them over time. Bleaching creams may help minimally.

It is  you remain very concerned consultation with a local dermatologist may also be in order.

Hyperpigmentation?

+1

the hyperpigmentation you see may actually be retained areola. that is the geometry required some areola to be retained in or near the incision leading to the appearance of hyperpigmentation. see your doctor for a definitive diagnosis. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction - Hyperpigmentation After Breast Reduction

+1

Hi cny89,

I would agree that, at this point, you are best off consulting with a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon who can address hyperpigmentation.  Pigmentary changes (hyper - meaning darker, or hypo - meaning lighter) can occur with a wide range of procedures and with many skin types.  Addressing them early has many advantages but it may still be possible to lighten them.

No one knows for sure why any particular procedure will be associated with pigmentary changes, which makes it one of the more frustrating issues for both patient and surgeon.

But I think it's worth seeing a few people near you to get some different opinions and, hopefully, get a resolution to this issue.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Post operative Hyperpigmentation

+1

Well certain racial types are prone to hyperpigmentation; Asians, Filipinos, and Afro-Americans all are at higher risk. The healing phase created more pigment in your scars. Treating these scars EARLY with Broad Band Light and a 515 filter would have helped them originally. Now the problem is more difficult. Bleaching creams have a marginal history at best. Check with your local Dermatologists in your home town they may be able to direct you.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon