How Soon After Breast Reduction Surgery Can I Go into my Swimming Pool (Salt Water)

My surgery is scheduled for July, how soon after can i go into my swimming pool (salt water, heated pool). I realize i probably cannot start swimming laps around the pool, but just going in the water to cool off? thank you

Swimming after Surgery

+1

Of course you will need to check with your physician, but generally if everything is well healed between 6-8 weeks post op surgery, you can go into the pool.  Keep in mind that sometimes there is delayed wound healing after surgery and if that occurs, you would need to wait and not go into a pool until all incision lines are healed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Swimming after breast reduction

+1

I ask my patients to refrain from using swimming pools or hot tubs for two to three weeks after surgery.  It is important to ensure that the incisions from the surgery are well healed.  Otherwise, pool water that is contaminated with bacteria may enter the surgical wounds and cause an infection.

Web reference: http://www.kplasticsurgery.com

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after surgery

+1

This is a question you need to ask your surgeon. Personally, I use buried sutures and have none on the surface. Therefore, the wound is generally sealed in about 8 hours. Once this happens, going in a pool should not be a problem. If, however, there is any oozing from the wound or there is any indication it is not healing, you should not be in the pool. You can, however, wash the wound to keep it clean. You should not swim or jump into the pool for about a month or longer to allow the internal scars to become strong enough to resist the forces of swimming (this puts significant caudal stress on the breasts) or the breasts hitting the water.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgerytoday.com/breast.php#reduc

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after breast reduction

+1

It takes about 2-3 weeks for the incision to really seal nicely.  Soaking in a pool at 3 weeks is probably not advisable.  While you probably can wade in the pool as long as your breasts do not soak, it is probably ok. I hav emy patients  wait about 6 weeks to swim.

Breast Reduction and Healing Time

+1

Usually at about 2-3 weeks time the incisions are pretty much healed.  So as long as my patients dont have any open areas I allow them to submerge the incision sites.  As far as swimming goes and exercise can be resumed at 4 weeks time.

Make sure you discuss this with your surgeon as each surgeon has their own formula for recovery and when to do the do's and don'ts.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-breastreduction-women-newport-beach.php

+1

In my personal practice I request at least 3 weeks healing and all wounds healed. No scabs or open areas should be present. 

Swimming after breast reduction

+1

Clean soap and water is great even the day after breast reduction. Swimming should be OK as soon as the incisions are healed, clean, and dry without any suture spitting, usually after two to three weeks. Cool chlorinated pool water is best. Heated saltwater is more of a primordial stew where critters abound. Be sure you are well healed. Until then perhaps a run through the sprinkler to stay cool.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-reduction

Wetting wounds after surgery

+1

Every surgeon has different ideas about wetting wounds. In my practice,in 30 years , my patients shower within 24 hrs. In a shower any drainage will harmlessly go down the drain. If it's your pool (either salt or chlorine And propperly cared for) they can go in 24 hrs after drainage has stopped. Most public pools will not allow people with wounds to bathe.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

When swimming is acceptable is up to your surgeon. All of us use similar technique and stitches, but each surgeon knows in general how quickly his or her patients will heal. I allow my patients to shower the next day. As long as the do not submerge their incisions, they can get into water whenever they choose. Assuming they heal without any difficulties, swimming is ok at 4 weeks. You need to ask your surgeon.