Is it dangerous to get breast implants when you're skinny?

Im 24,100lbs & 5'6. My immune system isnt the best. I hav absolutely no chest. I dont even fit into an A cup bra. Id like to get around a full B cup size. after reading some surgery scares online from Bravo TVs Lilly Ghalichi, Im beginning to get afraid of breast implants. I know everyones situation is different but is it more dangerous for an extremely skinny person to get them than someone of average weight? & does the skin damage from stretching to a larger breast size?

Not a problem if you are healthy

+2
You wont have any problem if you are healthy and you choose a board certified plastic surgeon, so your concers about your future cup and how your breast will look must be discussed with your doctor before your procedure. Good luck!

Not at all!

+2

Thanks for your question. 

Fast answer: not at all! Specially because you seem to be an intelligent patient who desires a reasonable enlargement. 

Very stretched out skin may lead to stretch marks, but in your case like is not a big enlargement the odds of getting them are lower. Another tip to avoiding stretch marks are hydrating your breast skin a lot before and after the procedure (for about 2-3 months). 

Bottom line, being very skinny is not a contraindication for having a BA. 

Last but not least, make sure you talk to your surgeon well about what breasts do you consider pretty. Nowadays, we have plenty of formats and profiles (besides the under the muscle or over the muscle plane) so you can end up as close as possible to your ideal breasts. 

Have a great day and good luck on your journey, 

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernández Goico, MD

Implants

+1
Many women looking for breast implants are thin. The problems arise when excessively large implants are used or attempted n ladies with chests and skin volumes too small to accommodate these implants. Proper sizing by the surgeon and shape is most important

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Too Skinny for Implants?

+1
Good news.  Being skinny is not a barrier to having breast implants.  Your overall medical history and exam will have to confirm your good health.  But as long as you are healthy for anesthesia and surgery, you should be able to have the implants you want.

It is great that you are looking for a size (full B) that sounds like it will really fit your overall frame.  Best of luck!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Not dangerous.

+1
It is no more dangerous for a skinny person versus an average-weighted person to get breast implants.  I would like to know more about your immune system, whether you have been diagnosed with an immune deficiency.
The skin is rarely damaged with a breast implant, this only happens in rare cases with extremely large implants.
All the best!
Dr. Tony Perkins.
Plastic Surgery of Short Hills

Anthony Perkins, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Thin with implants

+1
There is no reason you can not have a reasonable size implant. Talk to the surgeon and look at photos of their other thin patients. Just pick a moderate size and you will be fine. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast implants are safe and healthy skinny women

+1
Just being skinny is no reason not to have breast implants.  Breast implants placed beneath the chest muscle can look very nice in very thin people.

However it is crucial that you be in good health.  If you are in otherwise good health and your primary care doctor feels your a candidate for surgery then you should consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Candidate

+1
Breast implants are not dangerous. Breast implants do not cause disease or cancer nor do they prevent the detection of cancer. If you have a significant medical history of autoimmune diseases in your family, you may not want to use silicone implants. The total cost of surgery is $4100 plus the cost of the implants. Saline implants cost $1000/pair while Silicone implants cost $2000/pair. The cost of surgery includes the board certified professional fee, board certified anesthesia fee, and Medicare approved surgicenter. Hope this helps!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants in Skinny Women

+1
Skinny women can get breast implants without any issues. This should not be a concern. Regarding future issues with the skin, it will depend on the implant selection. Since you are skinny and have very little breast tissue, you will not be able to safely hold a large implant. You need to choose an implant that fits your body. The one thing that does concern me - and I am not sure why no one else has commented on this - is your statement, "my immune system is not the best". I have no idea what that means, and if you have any medical issues, then elective cosmetic surgery may not be appropriate for you.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Skinny

+1
I'm 54 , 190 lbs and 5'11 and I struggle to keep it at that .   What's your secret. ?   All surgeries have risks and potential problems. So does everything else you do. Remember that all forms of media tend to focus on the bad. There's not much of a story line to "everything went well and the patient is happy". It's not more dangerous. Choose a reasonable breast size increase. I think gel implants are better in someone as thin as you. Not sure what you mean by diminished immune system ?

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon