19 Years Old - Am I Too Young for a Tummy Tuck?

Im 19 years old... Have had one baby and do not plan on having any more kids. Im considering having a tummy tuck cause of all the loose skin that has not gone. Im really not happy with my stomach right now and want it gone. I have tried excersing and dieting for 2 years now but nothing. Should i and am i too young to get a tummy tuck?

Right Time for Tummy Tuck

+2

As long as you are definitely done with having kids, you can consider a tummy tuck procedure.  A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure for Moms. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:

Excess abdominal skin following weight loss Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy Desire for a thinner profile Desire to look younger and fitter Desire to fit into clothes better

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure

Tummy tuck age?

+1

In your situation, having had only one child, I would suggest waiting on the  tummy tuck  if at all possible. If you're not planning on having children in the near future then proceeding with the surgery should be considered, given that it will significantly improve your quality of life (based on what you have described). Obviously taking this route may mean that further surgery may be required after you're done with pregnancies.

You will find that in the field of plastic surgery, every patient's  situation is assessed based on their unique circumstances, making it difficult to give generalized advice.

It may benefit you to seek consultation with a well-trained/ethical/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon for advice.

Young age for tummy tuck

+1

If you have waited more than 1 year after the birth of your child, followed a sensible diet and exercised, and still have significant loose skin, then a tummy tuck is an option. Although most surgeons recommend waiting until you are sure that you will not have more children, if you have the tummy tuck and then get pregnant, it won't cause any problems with your pregnancy (but your tummy may get stretched out again).

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

At 19 are you too young for tummy tuck?

+1

19 is not too young for a tummy tuck.  Future pregnancies may adversely affect the appearance.  If necessary, a second procedure can be done to improve the appearance.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck at 19

+1

At Gill Plastic Surgery, I recommend that all my patients be confident that they no longer want children.   I want to provide my patients with the best and longest lasting results.   Pregnancy after tummy tuck surgery will likely stretch the muscle and skin back to their presurgical shape and form.  

Another important consideration for any young patient considering cosmetic surgery is mental health and stability.   This is an elective, non medically necessary, procedure, and as your physician, we want to ensure you understand the risks and benefits of your desired procedure and that you make the most educated decision.

If you are found to be a good candidate based on the above criteria, I think you should proceed with a tummy tuck surgery to help regain your youthful contours!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

What is too young for a tummy tuck ?

+1

Thanks for the question.

To answer your question, from a safety standpoint, there is no contra-indication to performing a tummy tuck on a 19 year old, especially one with excess skin and diastasis secondary to child birth.  I recommend you consult with several plastic surgeons to discuss your options. At the ginger age of 19, I think you need to be certain that you have no future plans of having further children.  

Warmest Regards, 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Am I too young for a tummy tuck at age 19?

+1

You can have a tummy tuck, if you are juged to be a good candidate by a competent plastic surgeon. You are  too young to have a tummy tuck but at age 19th you are also too young to have a streched abdomen which you find unatractive. Your abdomen will strech after another pregnancy. Make sure that you don't want to have another child in the near future.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Wisconsin tummy tuck

+1

Wisconsin,

You are not too young for a tummy tuck.  Also, there is no information that says that you cannot have a full term normal pregnancy after a tummy tuck.  In fact, many women have had full term successful pregnancies after abdominoplasty surgery.  Of course, there is likelihood that you would need to repeat the tummy tuck after future pregnancies.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Too young for tummy tuck?

+1

The answer to your question is simple an d direct,if you have loose skin with stretch marks you can not exercise them away and you need a tummy tuck.The question is when,in 6 months,now or ayear.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Is 19 too young for a tummy tuck?

+1

If you are done having children and feel strongly enough, there is no reason that you would not be a good candidate.  I would agree with seeing a few Plastic Surgeons before moving forward so that you are confident in your decision and secure that your expectations with the surgery are in line with what you can actually accomplish in the long run.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon