Seroma Still Draining over 200cc a Day 2 Weeks After JP Drains Reinserted

I had a tummy tuck w/ lipo after 100lbs weightloss. The 1st drain removed 6 days post-op, the 2nd at 11 days. I noticed the fluid accumulating in lower abdomen. For the next 3 wks went in once a week and had it aspirated via syringe - 150cc, 250cc, 125cc respectively. Made decision to reinsert drains. Had surgery at 5 wks. Cleaned out 2 seromas, put 2 drains in, stitched closed. Surgery to fix bleeder 2 days later. It's been 2 wks & I'm still draining 200-300cc a day, dark yelkow. What to do?

Seromas in massive weight loss

+1

Massive weight loss patients have more issues going on and it is not uncommon for me to leave drains in these patients for 3 weeks and sometimes more. 

Chronic seromas are rare but tough problems after tummy tuck.

+1

You have had a rough go of it but you are not alone.  The sequence you describe does happen on occasion.  You'll be fixed soon enough but another operation to remove the wall of the seroma may be necessary.  I can't say that for sure yet but it sounds like you might be headed down that road.

Surgery after massive weighty loss is different

+1

Plastic surgeons have found that the massive weight loss patient must be treated differently. Often the lymphatics are larger than normal. "Seromas" are more frequent. While the drains are in there are things to do to control the fluid if it does not subside. The drains are your friend at this point and should not be removed too soon.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Persistent sreoma after tummy tuck

+1

I understand your frustration but it sounds as if your poblem is being managed well and the the drain should remain in pllace for now. Sclerosing agents or quilting sutures may be required at a later date.

Managing Chronic Seromas (fluid drainage)

+1

Regarding:  "Seroma Still Draining over 200cc a Day 2 Weeks After JP Drains Reinserted   I had a tummy tuck w/ lipo after 100lbs weightloss. The 1st drain removed 6 days post-op, the 2nd at 11 days. I noticed the fluid accumulating in lower abdomen. For the next 3 wks went in once a week and had it aspirated via syringe - 150cc, 250cc, 125cc respectively. Made decision to reinsert drains. Had surgery at 5 wks. Cleaned out 2 seromas, put 2 drains in, stitched closed. Surgery to fix bleeder 2 days later. It's been 2 wks & I'm still draining 200-300cc a day, dark yelkow. What to do?"

Sorry to hear of your predicament. Chronic seromas are frustrating to both patient and surgeon and there is no one accepted way to resolve them. They are usually treated with prolonged suction drainage and if that fails to resolve it either by instilling irritants into the pocket which will promote wall inflammation and adherence OR by going in are removing the by-now smooth walls of the bursa pocket surrounding the seroma hoping for more rapid adhesion of the walls.

Dr. Peter Aldea