Crown or Veneer for Root Canal Tooth?

I have a root canal on my left bottom, front tooth. I have seen a couple of dentists, and they all have recommended different treatments such as a veneer, a crown and internal whitening.

I'm so confused. I don't know which treatment to choose for my root canal tooth. Please advise.

Root canal treated teeth need strength

+2

The standard/rule of thumb answer is: crown. After a tooth is hollowed out to clean out the affected nerve, the tooth is weaker and likely to fracture. Covering up completely is best.

If the access hole is small, sometimes nothing is needed, but the lower front teeth are so small that small holes are still very large (by proportion). If the access was from the front of the tooth, a veneer might work.

So truly, the best person to ask is a dentist that is right there looking at the situation.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/crowns-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Full crown or veneer for root canan treated tooth

+1

As a general rule, full crowns are recommended following root canal therapy to protect the biting strength of the treated  tooth and protect it from a non-repairable fracture.  For this reason I would lean towards the full crown. 

Laurel Cosmetic Dentist

After root canal, a crown or veneer

+1

I don't think you could go wrong choosing to have a crown done on a root canal tooth. You might get away with a veneer only if there is very little tooth structure missing. As far as internal bleaching, you usually only need that if you aren't doing a crown.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Proctect root canal tooth

+1

Once a root canal is performed and nerve is removed tooth can become brittle & fracture a crown is usually  placed in order to protect the tooth.

Woodbury Cosmetic Dentist

RCT treated tooth

+1

Hi

Its a very good question . There are different options for a RCT treared tooth , specially if it is discolored. Its very important for  a tooth to have a full coverage after treatment as the tooth becomes brittle . Veneer covers just the front surface and does not provide the full coverage. Internal bleaching can be an option only when you are not planning to get any crown or veneer after RCT. The best option is to get a crown in order to prevent the fracture of the tooth n future.

San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer or crown on a tooth with root canal treatment

+1

For teeth in the back of the mouth and middle area (molars and premolars), full coverage crown is recommended. However for front teeth, it may be possible to do a veneer or a partial coverage crown, depending on the tooth itself and howmuch of healthy structure it has remaining.

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Best treatment

+1

The best option is to have a crown because a root canal tooth will be always a very weak tooth and the crown will protect it much better than a veneer.

Thank you,

Dr. Barba

Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Most teeth treated with root canal therapy need crowns, in some cases front teeth do not

+1

Typically, teeth treated with root canal therapy should recieve a crown if they are located in the back of the mouth.

Some front teeth can simply be filled with a filling. The determination is a clinical one that is made by the treating dentist and is specific to the circumstance leading to the root canal. If there is a lot of healty remaining natural tooth, a crown may not be necessary on a front tooth. Most root canal treated back teeth do need a crown on the other hand.

The internal whitening is for teeth that have been traumatized. Often blood from trauma can enter the tooth and cause discoloration in which only internal whitening can correct. If the tooth will recieve a crown, correction of color may not be necessary because the tooth in question will be covered by a crown.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

A fiber post and a veneer in the answer!

+1

With lower anterior teeth the way to treat them in this situation (after root canal) is to clean the inside of the tooth, place a fiber post and do a porcelain veneer that is designed like a 3/4 crown.

This is the most conservative and esthetic approach.

Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Crown or Veneer for a Root Canal Treated tooth

+1

In general, a crown is recommended for a root canal treated tooth. It really depends on the forces exerted on that particular tooth. A Veneer can work but is not as strong. If your tooth was not sealed properly after getting all of the bacteria out, there is a possibility that bacteria remaining is causing the darkening. Then interior whitening of the tooth might work very well. Again, the dentist you are seeing would be the one who would know. If not satisfied with his answer, then i would go for another opinion.

Good luck!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist