What Are the Criteria for NHS to Cover Tummy Tuck?

I am just after my third Cesarean section and my stomach has a large over hang which is dead muscle. I have tried everything to get it back into shape and nothing seems to be working for me.

I can't afford to pay for a Tummy Tuck and was wondering if I meet the criteria for the NHS to help me? Thanks

Tummy tuck insurance coverage

+1

The best way to obtain information about insurance coverage is to contact your insurance company and ask for the specific policy statement on panniculectomy surgery.  This will list the requirements and criteria needed to meet medical necessity.  Best of luck!

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

NHS coverage of Tummy Tuck?

+1

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to your question. It would be in your best interests to meet with well experienced plastic surgeons in your area who can guide you.

Panniculectomy vs. tummy tuck

+1

If you have symptoms related to the overhanging skin, your insurance may pay for a "panniculectomy". This involves excising the skin and fat that overhangs your beltline and closing the wound. Depending on the position of your belly button, it may need to be removed. Your insurance will want to see evidence of skin rashes and sweating under your abdominal flap.

The insurance company is unlikely to pay for a tummy tuck which, in addition to a panniculectomy, involves more undermining, tightening the muscles and relocating the umbilicus.

Good Luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks and cost

+1

Unfortunately, insurance companies will not pay for a cosmetic tummy tuck. However, if you have a documented hernia or other abdominal wall problem, you may get this covered by NHS. Then, you may be able to save money on the anesthesia and facility fees if you get a tummy tuck at the same time that your hernia is repaired. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS