How Long Do I Have to Be out of Work After Tummy Tuck?

I'm hearing so many different numbers being tossed around for Tummy Tuck recovery. I know this is an approximation as everybody is different. I am 5'8 148 lbs. I am in excellent physical condition and exercise often. Roughly how many days will I be bedridden and/or out on sick leave after this procedure?

Tummy Tuck Return To Work Varies on Work Type

+1

Without giving the details of your work requirements it would be hard to give you an answer that is specific for you regarding return to work. You will not be bedridden from the start.

Recovery varies form individual to individual and on the extent of the surgery performed.

Many patients are able to return to work and daily activities within 2 weeks of surgery if they mainly have a desk job and are sitting for the most part. On the other hand if there is strenuous work and lifting of more than 20 pounds then 6-8 weeks would be more reasonable. Abdominoplasty recovery can be in some cases slow and uncomfortable requiring more time for a full recovery. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. 

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

Time off work following a TT obviously depends on the type of work performed.  Patients who do sedentary work can possibly return to work in 1-2 weeks, while patients whose work involves heavy lifting may require 6--8 weeks off.  This is a matter youshould discuss with your surgeon.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

We have our tummy tuck patients up the day of surgery walking around. We want you to be careful with not damaging the muscle repair so we ask that you not do any aerobic exercise and lifting of heavy objects or weights for at least 4-6 weeks. All tummy tucks come see me for follow-up at 6 days post-op and many are driving themselves and are ready to return to work. The normal range of days to take off work is 6-10 days depending on how much skin removal was performed and the amount of muscle repair. All tummy tucks should be at their normal routine by 2 weeks or so.

John Ward, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon