Will Tummy Tuck Get Rid of Old Horizontal Scar?

Is it possible to get rid of the old scar during Tummy tuck? it runs 5" to 6" horizontally 1/2" to1" above my bellybutton. I have since had 2 baby girls both by c-section.

My question is: would it be possible to only have one scar with a tummy tuck to get rid of the old surgery scar and the loose pregnancy skin & stretchmarks and to tighten the tummy muscles backup.

I've always been into fitness and it's frustrating that no matter how much I do now my tummy always looks out of place with my body. I'm not too worried about the placement of the scar or being able to hide it, as I have always had one. I'm more concerned with the pregnancy muscles, skin and stretchmarks.Thank You!

Removing scars with a tummy tuck

+1

It appears as though you will most likely be able to get rid of your scar with your tummy tuck.  I have had a lot of good experience removing old c-section scars with a tummy tuck.

No

+1

from your picture, you won't be able to get rid of that scar, but when the skin is stretched, it will look better, and after the tummy tuck is healed (months later), you can get a scar revision. Don't get scar revision along with tummy tuck at the same time.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

+1

based on your pic I would guess no way, unless you want your scar to be 4 inches wide or at the level of your belly button. tread lightly here. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Removing old scars through tummy tuck

+1

Scars at or below the belly button may be removed by tummy tuck, but in my opinion your scar is too high for this, and a higher tummy tuck scar would be equally unsightly.

A tummy tuck with a bikini-line incision may help hide and flatten this scar somewhat due to the skin roll above it..

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck scar

+1

The skin excision of your tummy tuck should incorporate the old scar and get rid of it. It does appear, however, that the distance from your umbilicus to pubis is a bit greater than usual. This may result in a final scar which is placed somewhat higher than normal, but it still should be well below your belly button.

John Whitt, MD

Getting rid of upper scar

+1

Unfortunately, there is no way to use one scar and get rid of the upper abdominal scar and do a classical tummy tuck. This scar appears to be an old gall bladder scar or a scar from some type of abdominal surgery. There is a procedure called a reverse abdominoplasty, but this will leave you with different scars that run under the breast.

The old C-section scar will be removed and a new longer scar created as part of the tummy tuck as well as a scar around the umbilicus.

What you may be able to do is discuss with your plastic surgeon the possibility of a surgical release of the scar without cutting it out (like using a device called a surgiwire) and then using some of the tissue from the abdominoplasty to fill up the depression from inside the sugery wound.

Wish I had a way to remove both and get you the result. Good Luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scars

+1

The new tummy tuck scar will be lower and should be designed to incorporate and hide a small bikini. However, with the degree of scarring, you should view typical abdominoplasty scars and see if they are acceptable to you prior to having the surgery done.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Yes but new scar may be an issue

+1

In order to remove the scar you have it would need to be used an part of the incision. So if you start with that scar as your incision and carry that across the belly from left to right and also extend it to the right a bit, you will have an idea of the size of the scar from right to left.

Next pull down the skin as much as possible, grabbing the central skin and fat about the level of the belly button. That is how far down you can pull that new incision. It will prbably end up about and inch or two below the belly button. That is where your new scar will be.

If you are accepting of that location then it would be a good fit for you. Otherwise a traditional lower abdominal incision can be used but you won't get as good a contour result as you would if you incorporated the old scar.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Only lower abdominal scars can be removed

+1

A tummy tuck will only remove your lower abdominal scars - anything basically below the belly button. Anything above the belly button is typically only lowered and not removed. Your scar in the upper abdomen appears so high in your photo that it is unlikely to be removed with an abdominoplasty. The best way to tell is with an examination during a consultation. I would suggest finding a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and setting up an appointment.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Tummy tuck and old scars

+1

It appears from your photo that you have a classic c-section scar low in the abdomen which definitely would be removed with abdominoplasty, but the scar above the belly button would not be removed. I think it can be improved significantly and it will end up lower on the abdomen. The surgery will definitely improve your skin and muscle laxity and create a more defined waistline.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon