How Much Would It Cost to Fix my Ears Closer to my Head , Nothing Else?

My ears have always been a bother and also a subject to bullying. I hate how they stick out. I want my parents to get me otoplasty but they say it's too pricey and i will outgrow my ears. I am currently 14 years old.

Otoplasty

+1

The price does vary considerably depending on the complexity of the correction required.  You should expect total cost to be between $4000 and $7000.

+1

Dear bigears,

Thank you for your question.  unfortunately kids do not 'grow out of' their ears.  If they are prominent or missing some of the important folds, they can stick out and this does not diminish over the years.  The price can vary from surgeon to surgeon and also from city to city.  However, it is important to not choose a surgeon based on price.  Cheapest isn't best in this case.  Kids usually try to camaflauge their ears by growing their hair longer to cover the ears.  This may be an option until you grow older.  You might ask if you can 'work off' the cost of surgery with your parents by getting a job when you are able or doing chores, or maybe if they are ammendable as a birthday/christmas gift.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cost of an otoplasty

+1

The cost of an otoplasty is $4200 under local anesthesia. Please add an additional 600  dollars for  general anesthesia. The procedure takes approximately one hour to perform as an outpatient procedure, and expect to wear headband at night for the first 2 weeks after the  otoplasty. The ears will be  bruised and swollen for approximately 10 days after the procedure

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/otoplasty_photos.html

Cost of otoplasty (pinning of ears)

+1

There are a few different considerations to take into account: What portion of the ear sticks out? Is it the entire ear or just the top half? What type of anesthesia is needed? For younger patients we use general anesthesia but for older patients we can use either sedation or local anesthetic alone.

These factors will influence the cost of the procedure. The range is about $3,500-5,000 depending on these variables.

The most important thing is to remember that you want a natural looking result. Make sure to check out your surgeon's before and after photos to see if they get it right.

Web reference: http://www.drkryger.com/ear-reshaping-otoplasty

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty to have ears closer to your head cost?

+1

Otoplasty to have ears closer to your head cost? The average is 5K and can be done under local anesthesia without pain. 

Otoplasty at a Young Age

+1

I sympathize with your situation.  Some people aren't too bothered by their appearance one way or another.  For many, though, a feature that's outside the norm--whether it's a misshapen nose, huge breasts or ears that stick out--can be a real challenge.  People can be very unkind, especially at your age, and self-esteem can suffer.

At the same time, I also understand what your parents might be thinking.  As your looks change, it's possible your ears may not seem as prominent (though your ears won't change and most people don't "grow into" their ears).  Your parents may think that as you get older, you will feel less sensitive.  Again, it's possible that your feelings won't seem as acute with time, but it's also likely your dissatisfaction won't disappear.

I suggest you prepare a case to present to your parents.  You can print out articles on bullying to show them.  You can also look for relevant articles on teen self-esteem.  Sit down and talk with them openly about how you are feeling, but also ensure that your approach and the information you present is rational and objective.  Consider whether there's anything you can do to help with the cost of otoplasty, which on average is about $3500 for the surgeon (plus other fees such as the anesthesiologist and facility charges).  Could you perform extra chores and save money to cover the cost of an initial consultation?  Would your parents be interested in learning about financing options and could you contribute some money each month to paying off surgery over time?

If they are adamant that they will not consider surgery, you can make otoplasty your goal and arrange for the procedure at age 18.  Having surgery as something to work toward may help you get through the next few years.  (And who knows?  Your parents may come around when they see your determination.)

Good luck to you,

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgeonnewyork.com/otoplasty.php

Otoplasty cost

+1

Thanks for the inquiry,

The cost of otoplasty can range from $3k to $5k, depending on whether or not you need to be sedated.  Many patients simply undergo surgery with local anesthesia.  It's still a technically challenging procedure that requires experience so see a surgeon with good photo evidence of having performed the procedure successfully with good credentials.  A board certified facial plastic surgeon is a good place to start.

Chase Lay Md

Web reference: http://www.chaselaymd.com/Otoplasty__Ear_Pinning_.html

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Otoplasty

+1

You may outgrow the concern about your ears but the ears will not grow into a better position. The average cost for an otoplasty is in the range of $5000.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Prominent ears

+1

Prominent ear surgery can be done to as young as 6 years of age to avoid teasing of other children. Prominent ears surgery has to address the cause of prominent ears. This will dictate the technique used for correction. Depending on the patient it can be done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia. Local anesthesia require multiple needle sticks to numb the ears completely.

How Much Would It Cost to Fix my Ears Closer to my Head, Nothing Else?

+1

Otoplasty to set the ears back may cost $5000 or so.   Usually, this can be done under local anesthesia.  You will need your parent's permission.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Ear-Correction.php