How to Correct an Overbite W/ Bridges and Crowns on Top Teeth?

I lost 3 teeth on top do to an accident and had bridges and crowns to fix my upper teeth, however, years later am having jaw pain and have a deep overbite. I feel as if a have to move my bottom jaw back in order to chew. What are options for treatment of my overbite? Braces aren't an option as I understand because of bridges.

+1

When braces are not an option, you must be evaluated by a TMD specialist and /or Neuromuscular dentist that will look into detail about your bite and how it is al related to the jaw.TMJ problems can originate from a misaligned bite, called malocclusion, as well as physical, emotional, and psychological stress. These factors can push the TMJ joint out of its natural, relaxed position, leading to strain on the surrounding muscles and nerves, which in turn can lead to:

- Chewing problems

- Clenching and grinding

- Neck,back and shoulder pain

Neuromuscular dentistry is a specialized field of dentistry that focuses on TMJ/TMD diagnosis and treatment through an understanding of the relationship between the joints, nerves, muscles, tendons and bones that affect your jaw alignment and bite position.

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

How do I correct overbite or over jet without braces?

+1

Very difficult but can be done first I suggest you consider neuro muscular dental care to make sure if your bite is changes your muscles can tolerate the treatment, If they can an orthodic splint should be made after the neuromuscular analysis and you would wear a temporary fixed bridge for 3-4 months if no TMJ problems the final bridge would be inserted good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD  CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

How to Fix Overbite and Alleviate TMJ Symptoms

+1

Definitely a throrogh exam is needed by someone knowledgeable in occulsion (bite), restorative dentistry, and TMJ.  From your description, sounds like your lower jaw is positioned too far back and closed down too much.  Sometimes the jaw muscles can accomodate to a bad bite for many years but eventually symptoms can develop.  Your options most likely would include orthodontics or a reconstruction to position your jaw and teeth in a more physiologic position to alleviate your symptoms.

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Correcting an Overbite with Bridges and Crowns

+1

You will need to have a thorough exam and consultation by an experienced dentist who understands not only occlusion but orthodontics and TMJ Dysfunction as well. A bridge does NOT preclude you from having orthodontic treatment. Your most pressing problem is the jaw pain as this can affect your entire body if it is related to TMJ Dysfunction. 

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

Correcting Overbite With Bridges & Crowns

+1

It's impossible to answer your question without seeing photos and X-rays. You should have a consultation with an experienced cosmetic dentist that has knowledge and experience in occlusion (the way upper and lower teeth bite into eachother).

New York Cosmetic Dentist