Is Coolsculpting Safe for People with Prior History of Elevated Liver Profiles?

Had elevated liver profiles for a couple of years. Although back to normal, still remains on the higher end of scale. Would cool sculpting pose any danger to my liver reason being maybe some of the fat would be metabolized by it?

Elevated Liver Levels and Coolsculpting

+2

Hi,

I think the main question is to know why you have a history of elevated liver tests.  If you have a history of Hepatitis C, it is related to a disease cold cold cryoglobulins which can be worsened by Coolsculpting.  If you have a history of elevated liver tests and are cleared by your primary care doctor, you should be able to have Coolsculpting.  The procedure itself does not cause any elevation of liver tests.

Dr. Liu

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsulpting and Patients with Liver Disease

+2

There is no contraindication to have this procedure performed if you had previously had elevated liver profiles. Your treated doctor may want some information from the physician who has been treating you but otherwise should be OK.

Coolsculpting Does Not Affect Serum Lipid Levels or Liver Function Tests

+2

Dear Miscurious, Great question! Coolsculpting does not affect serum lipid levels or liver function tests.

A recent study of forty patients showed no change in lipid levels or liver tests when tested at day 1 and weeks 1,4,8 and 12 after having their love handles treated. This was also found to be true in a subset of patients that were tested at numerous other time-points following treatment. This is not surprising because the reduction of fat cells occurs at a very slow rate, underscoring the safety of the coolsculpting procedure.

Here is the reference in case your doctors may find it helpful:

Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 41:785–790 (2009). 

Non-Invasive CryolipolysisTM for Subcutaneous Fat Reduction Does Not Affect Serum Lipid Levels or Liver Function Tests. Kenneth B. Klein, MD,1 Brian Zelickson, MD,2 Jeffrey G. Riopelle, MD,3 Eric Okamoto, MD,4 Eric P. Bachelor, MD,5 Rosemary S. Harry, MSBME,6 and Jessica A. Preciado, PhD7*

Andrea Willey, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting in patients with past history of liver disease

+2

There is no contraindication to Coolsculpting for those patients with a prior history of abnormal liver function tests. There are very few contraindications but you should discuss them with your physician upon consultation.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Elevated Liver Profiles And Cool Sculpting

+1

Dear Miscurious,

Without knowing the cause of your once elevated liver profiles, I cannot confirm that cool sculpting is safe in your case.

Nonetheless, if the liver issue was caused by elevated fat levels your blood due to a given diet for example then the loss of fat through cool sculpting will barely elevate the serum fat levels of the patients.

It is important to note that the fat contained in the adipocytes (fat cells) will slowly get into the bloodstream without causing a significant elevation of the serum fat levels; the evidence is within the fact that it takes weeks to recognize the full results of the treatment.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting and Liver Levels...

+1

There is no contraindications to having a CoolSculpting treatment with a history of elevated liver levels.  This treatment does not affect serum lipid levels nor liver function.  Please do not hesitate to tell your provider about your history prior to your treatment.  I am sure he/she will agree with us as well.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

CoolSculpting does not seem to affect liver issues

+1

The freezing of the fat and processing of fat cells in CoolSculpting does not appear to affect the lipid levels or damage livers as the freezing kills the fat cells rather than exploding them and liberating fat into the blood stream. The dead fat cells get metabolized over a slow period.

Ronald Shelton, MD