Is It Ok to Go to a Concert Post Tummy Tuck?

I am 1 week post op from a tummy tuck. I have concert tickets that will be on the night of exactly 3 weeks past my tummy tuck. This will also be my first day back at work. Is that too strenuous to only be 3 weeks out of surgery? I don't want to mess up my recovery.

Concert 3 weeks after tummy tuck?

+1

You are 1 week post-op now, so you should know how your own personal recovery is coming, at least compared to other patients your surgeon may have cared for. Ask his or her nursing staff.  Let's assume your drain(s) are out and things are healing well. I'm sure your surgeon has outlined various restrictions for you such as avoiding strenuous activities, lifting, and certainly nothing like sit-ups, crunches, jogging, etc. These all have times when they are allowed associated with them.

Your first day back at work may be quite taxing, depending on your type of work, your required pace at your job, the stress you encounter after being gone for 3 weeks, etc. Many of my tummy tuck patients return to work after 1 or 2 weeks; usually, having their drain out so they can shower and wear normal clothes is a prerequisite for even sedentary desk jobs or clerical positions. Standing all day at a hair salon, working at a bank on your feet all day, or any number of other high-level, supervisory, or physical jobs will each have their own requirements, stresses, and take their toll on your ability to get through your day.

And then you want to go to a concert!

Is this a classical piano concert? Or a heavy metal band with a mosh pit and lots of illicit chemicals in use? A rave or a high school band concert? You know what I mean!

The real answer is probably known to you already, and even more accurately if you ask your surgeon while providing those little details such as what kind of job you have, and what type of concert you are attending, and just how your own recovery is coming along.

Feel the Force, listen to your gut (and your plastic surgeon), and don't risk messing up your $8000 operation! That being said, if your surgeon agrees and you behave yourself, have a great time and give yourself a day off to rest up afterwards! You may need it! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Concert after tummy tuck

+1
I think you should be fine to enjoy the concert. Try to pace yourself at work. A concert doesn't involve strenuous activity on your part so have a good time and watch the musicians do the heavy lifting.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Listen to your body

+1

Many patients are feeling ready to get back to their regular activities by the time you're describing.  You may wear out a little quicker than usual, so be sure to take breaks and sit down as needed. Basically the rule of thumb is to listen to your body.  

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Concert post tummy tuck

+1

Go have fun at the concert!! At three weeks post tummy tuck most people should be back to work. The only real exceptions would be a strenuous jobs or a complicated recovery.  Therefore sitting for a concert should not be an issue.

Good luck, and thanks for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD 

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Concert post tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question. It all depends on your recovery In general you should be able to do non streneous activities after three week. Attending a concert should be fine. As a general rule always confirm with your plastic surgeon.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Going to Concert Three Weeks after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you regarding postoperative activities since he/she will be following your progress closely. If I had to predict, I would suggest that you not plan on a full day of work and going to a concert that evening,  three weeks out of your tummy tuck surgery. That amount of activity at that stage in your recovery will be potentially exhausting.

Activities at 3 weeks after tummy tuck

+1

Every patient recovers at her own pace. Every tummy tuck is different. And everyone's job is different. 

By three weeks, most of my patients have already been at work for a week, provided the job is not physically stressful. (Someone who digs ditches is back in six weeks.)

If it is to be your first day back it may be a long day. If the concert is more important than that one day of work, you will have a choice to make.