Lumps and Infection After Fat Transfer to Breasts

I think I've been conned. Doctor and nurse assured me I could do smart lipo and transfer to breasts (transfer only costing an extra $500). Like an idiot, I did it last week. Felt large, hard lumps in breast and asked dr about it, he said it was normal. Today one became infected and he called in cipro. I'm scared and don't know who to call for sound advice & helping me fix this in any way I can. Am I in danger? He said the lumps go away. I'm scared I'll be deformed or even harmed from this.

Lumps and infection after (dead) fat transfer to breasts from SmartLipo!

+4

You WERE conned by an unscrupulous and unethical doctor, or you were unfortunate enough to be operated on by an idiot (strong words, I know) who doesn't even understand the basics of how SmartLipo works AND how fat grafting is done properly. This does not sound like the work of an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon, and once you get the mastitis properly treated (by someone other than this doctor), you should report this doctor to the state medical board, and perhaps consider other options as well.

But first, you must have proper treatment as the injected fat was simply dead material injected into your breasts, which consist of ducts with bacteria in them. Or, infection could have been introduced by the actual injection. Cipro is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic, but you should be seen by a board-certified (American Board of Plastic Surgery) plastic surgeon for possible aspiration, culture, and appropriate antibiotic therapy.

Your breasts may develop scar tissue and irregularity where the dead fat was injected, and this can cause calcifications that can interfere with the detection of breast cancer by mammogram (and physical examination, because of the lumps). This infected dead fat MAY be adequately treated with Cipro, but it also depends on how much fat overall and how much fat in single locations was injected, which bacteria are causing your mastitis, and how well the antibiotic can get to the areas of dead fat injection.

If you want larger breasts, please research breast implants. As you have found out, dead fat is NOT "natural" breast enlargement.

Please see another plastic surgeon now. Please stop this doctor from doing this again to someone else. Good luck, and let any of us know if we can help further.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer to breast

+4

IS YOUR SURGEON A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON?(AMRICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY)?

yOU NEED TO SEE A RTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON ASAP

THIS MAY NEED TO BE DRAINED(SURGERY) REMOVE ALL DEAD FAT AND TRAET WITH ANTIBIOTICS AFTER CULTURS ARE TAKEN.

SMART LIPO IS WHERE LASER IS USED TO MELT THE FAT CELLS THEREFORE THE FAT CELLS ARE DEAD AND CAN NOT BE TRANSFERED

YOU NEED TO BE SEEN TODAY

You will be okay

+3

I know you are scared and angry right now - but although the fat transfer may not work because of the Smart Lipo or other technique related problems, your infection will clear up quickly and the lumps will get softer over time.  You will be okay!  And after you are better, you can still have fat transfer or implant-based augmentation and get the breasts you have always wanted.  Hang in there!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer to Breasts

+3

HI,

Fat transfer can work well to the breasts, but it must be done correctly-if too much fat is placed in any one spot it does not have an adequate blood supply and dies (the laser lipolysis is also fairly destructive and not the best modality for fat transfer). When the fat dies, it results in an inflammatory response that can form a hard lump. Over time much of the fat can be reabsorbed by your body, so the lumps can and will improve significantly. At this point, especially given the fact that you may also have an infection, it is difficult to say what the final result will be. It is quite possible that everything will resolve and you will be ok, but if the infection does not clear up quickly you should seek a second opinion from a different plastic surgeon (make sure he or she is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery).

Hope this helps,

Regards,

D. Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections to breasts

+2

Fat injection to the breasts has to be done correctly for it to be succesful.  Harvesting needs to be done correctly and gently, and insertion has to be done carefully and evenly.  But, yes lumps can occur.

SmartLipo KILLS fat cells

+2
If you were promised to have fat transfer to your breasts with SmartLipo then you were fooled by someone who doesn't know what they're doing or intentionally deceived you.  SmartLipo is laser assisted liposuction.  The LASER melts the fat to allow for easier aspiration.  However, melting fat kills it.  It is absolutely useless for transfer to another area such as breasts.  I strongly recommend you check the credentials of the individual that treated you!
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Infection after fat transfer to the breast

+2

You are in trouble, and should contact your family doctor and be seen immediately. You may need to see a surgeon to drain the breast, and a culture is needed to make certain that you are on the correct antibiotic. Don't delay.

peterejohnsonmd

Transferred fat can die and lead to infection. You need to see a good doctor.

+1

If fat removed by laser assisted liposuction was injected into your breasts, death of the fat is predictable and infection is not unexpected.  Your body should be able to clean up the dead fat and the bacteria but I would seek the consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Possible infection after fat grafting to breasts

+1

Fat grafting of fat pretreated with Smart Lipo is not a good idea.  There is a lot more non-viable fat used, which can lead to fat necrosis and lumps.  It seems that you may be suffering from this and a local infection.  If you have a fever at all, you should either see a plastic surgeon, a breast surgeon or go to an emergency room.  Breast abscesses are considered an emergency and need to be drained.  If you do not have a fever than it is likely this is not an emergency, and the antibiotics will resolve the infection.  The lumps will likely resolve, but if they do not they can be removed or treated with various methods.  I would find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to manage the problem. 

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

You will need drainage

+1

Laser lipo destroys fat cell and should be used for the fat grafting to the breast. The use of fat for the breast require experience and I would guess your doctor was  tiring to gain the experience. Pleas make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon to treat you. you will be fine..

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon