Is a Compression Garment Worn for As Long After a Chin Implant As Chin Liposuction?

Recovery after chin implant surgery

+1

A compression garment is not usually needed after chin augmentation.  In my practice, we use a smaller compressive dressing that provides the same level of support after surgery.

Brief compression necessary for chin implants

+1

I have not found that much for than a few days of compression is necessary with chin augmentation. A small bandage over the incision and a split piece of foam tape for 3-4 days is all that I have ever found necessary. The most important thing to do after chin implant surgery is to avoid any activity where you could get struck in the chin such as playing sports like basketball for 3-4 weeks. The recovery for chin augmentation is usually very simple.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment after Chin Implant & Submental Liposuction

+1

I do not use a compression garment after placement of a chin implant. After submental and anterior neck liposuction I have the patient wear a compression garment for 5-6 days to obliterate the space created by the removal of the subcutaneous fat.

Chin implant dressings

+1

Typically, I only have my patients wear a chin implant dressing for five to seven days. I do require chin support for liposuction for at least two months to help the skin adhere giving a better neck line definition.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant compresive dressing briefer

+1

I have patients wear an elastic tape dressing on the chin for about 5 days after an implant to minimize bleeding and keep the implant precisely positioned until a little scar tissue forms, since the implant is smooth and not sticky. For liposuction, one needs a compressive elastic neck garment, that goes around the head, also for a few days, then at night for a few weeks, to ensure that the little empty tunnels created by the liposuction don't fill up with fluid, until they heal over.

Robert Reiffel, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants Require A Very Short Period Of Garment Wear

+1

There would be little reason to wear a compression dressing after a chin implant or osteotomy procedure. I only have my patients wear it overnite as its only purpose is to serve as a means to hold an ice pack in place. The next day it can be discarded. The implant is secured in place by the pocket into which it was placed and/or screw fixation. This is different than neck liposuction where longer periods of compression help to control swelling and provide some means of tissue adaptation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD