How Long Does a Chin Implant Last?

Does it need to be re-done after a certain number of years, like breast implants, or is it expected to last a lifetime?

Chin Implant has tremendous longevity

+4

Solid silicone elastomer, which is the molecular structure of the most commonly used chin implant, is designed to last a lifetime. In 17 years of practice, I have not had to replace one for any reason. Dr. G.

Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants

+3

Chin Implants these days are typically made  of solid silastic material contoured to fit precisely over the bone.They are intended to be permanent but can be easily removed if desired. When I started practice 21 years ago we did use an implant called "gelchin" that was filled with liquid silicone and could rupture though these have not been around for a long time.  

Von Graham, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+3

Chin Implants are permanent in the vast majority of cases.  There is a chance of infection but this is very rare.  The beauty of this procedure is that you have long lasting results and don't need repeated injections.  It is one of my personal favorite operations -- but talk further with your surgeon about your overall facial harmony and options.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silastic Chin Implants may last a lifetime.

+2

Silastic (rubberized silicone) Chin Implants have the longest track-record of safety, and have been used successfully for over 40 years. There is a small risk of infection that could occur even years after placement, but this is rare. It is not routine to change chin implants after placement.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants are usually permanent.

+2

Hi.

Chin implants are made of hard solid silicone (meant to imitate bone), and so do not leak or break down. 

Breast implants are completely different.  They are made of soft silicone gel inside a silicone shell, and the shell can indeed leak.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Chin Implants are LONG Lasting

+1

As stated by the other physicians, a solid silicone implant can last a lifetime. Solid silicone does not reabsorb and again, because it is solid, there is no concern with it leaking.  Best of Luck, Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon