My Compression Garment Keeps Riding Up over my Incision. Should I Be Worried About This?

I just had a full tummy tuck on Nov. 11, 2010. My doctor said to keep my incision covered with the binder, but it rides up every time I move. It is really stressing me out.

Don't be Too Worried about Your Garment and Tummy Tuck Incision

+2

In general, you want your compression garment over your tummy tuck incision.  You may have more swelling than usual, the garment may be too small, or you may be wearing it incorrectly.  I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon to make sure your garment fits, and if it does not, then get a new one or larger one.

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question!. The tummy tuck procedure is an excellent method for contouring of your abdomen, often removing the excess skin as well as tightening the abdominal wall. After nearly all surgical procedures, a potential space is created from where the surgical procedure/dissection was performed. This is especially true for the tummy tuck, in where the abdominal flap is raised off of the abdominal wall and then redraped atop the area to contour the abdomen. The procedure alone promotes swelling and inflammation, which typically lasts for 6-12 weeks. This may even last longer if liposuction has been performed in addition. During this time, a few things may be done to allow adherence of the abdominal skin/soft tissue to readhere to the abdominal wall and close that space. Many surgeons use drains to evacuate the expected serous fluid from building up. Stagnant fluid as such may be a nidus for infection as well as does not allow the tissue to adhere back to its normal anatomic position. Drains usually are removed once output is <30cc/day - usually removed within 3-4 weeks on average, sometimes longer. When this occurs, a seroma may develop - which may require aspiration or surgical evacuation to rid this in order to optimize your result.

This is not an uncommon reason for persistent swelling and/or bulging in a certain area of your belly. Of course, thwarting the development of a pseudobursa, or seroma capsule, is always best, to provide the best result as well as avoid any future procedures for this. This may be a troubling consequence and often compromises your overall result. Thus avoiding this complication, in whatever manner, is the objective. "Drainless" tummy tucks are becoming more popular - basically, the overlying tissue is physically sutured to the abdominal wall to close the potential space. In addition, most surgeons typically restrict vigorous activity/strenuous exercise as well as lifting restrictions of usually <20#, especially the core, for 6-8 weeks to allow healing to continue. Most also often recommend an abdominal compression-type binder or garment, which will serve to provide compression as well as assist to decrease swelling and eliminate the dead-space of the area for at least 6 weeks as well.  Wear your binder snug low on hips.  It is not uncommon for it to ride up, so do your best to fit it well (cutting to size), and pulling down when getting up.   After the initial binder, many patients like the Spanx garments. Most patients are able to return to most activities within a couple of weeks, provided they adhere to the restrictions.

Overall, this is a procedure with a high satisfaction rate. Discuss the procedure and postoperative instructions/restrictions with your surgeon, as these will vary among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Compression binder riding up

+1

Yes,this does happen on occasion. You may need a different size binder or to be re-wrapped by your surgeon. We want the binder to fit correctly so it can do its job.  Don't stress.  Call your plastic surgeon and see him in followup so he can assess the situation and correct it.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Binder issues

+1

Yes, binders tend to ride up a bit in some individuals depending upn the type of garment being used and how the patient is sitting or moving. It can be adjusted or you can also reinforce the incision with some dressings.  Check with your doctor.

High riding binder

+1

The problem with a high riding binder is that it sometimes acts like a tourniquet and can increase the swelling above the abdominal scar.

Annoying Binder after Tummy Tuck

+1

i think you have a couple of options: one would be to get a better fitting binder from your surgeon. The second option would be to place a bandage (gauze, ABD pad, etc) over the incision then place your binder.  Consult with your surgeon to his/her opinion about your issue.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Compression garment after tummy tuck

+1

Five days after abdominoplasty, if your binder keeps riding up, and it is stressing you out, the best thing to do is to call your plastic surgeon. What to do depends on why it is riding up, and they are in the best position to help, without causing a new problem. You may need a different garment. You may to wear it lower. However, your surgeon should be the one to make that determination. You plastic surgery is team work, and good team work depends on good communication between teammates.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon