3 Weeks Post-op from Circumferential Abdominoplasty. Can I Use Heat Vibration Massager?

im still pretty swollen on my back and tummy area and wondering if it would be ok to massage the tummy and lower back area with a heat vibration massaging tool. would the massage actually help the swelling go down and help get rid of a golf sized knot i have near the inner thigh by the groin? thank you very much for your time.

Tummy tuck an dheat vibrator

+1

I would caution you using a heat vibrator 3 weeks after a circumferential abdominoplasty.  You  may not have normal sensation and you run the risk of burning your skin. 

Do not use heat massage 3 weeks after Tummy tuck

+1

In my opinion, I would not adivise a tummy tuck patient to use massager at 3 weeks. I would, and I did, recommend patients to undergo Manual Lymphatic Drainage.

Can I Use Heat Vibration Massager 3 Weeks Post-op after Circumferential Abdominoplasty (Lower Body Lift) ?

+1

Regarding: "3 Weeks Post-op from Circumferential Abdominoplasty. Can I Use Heat Vibration Massager?
im still pretty swollen on my back and tummy area and wondering if it would be ok to massage the tummy and lower back area with a heat vibration massaging tool. would the massage actually help the swelling go down and help get rid of a golf sized knot i have near the inner thigh by the groin? thank you very much for your time
."

A circumferential Abdominoplasty (Lower Body Lift) is associated with wide areas of numbness and swelling. While the swelling takes a long time to completely resolve, some areas of numbness may be permanent (just as is seen with the area over a C-section scar). It is really not a good idea to employ any heat emitting devices ( such as a hot water bottle etc) on numb areas because these areas lack protective sensation and blistering and burns may follow.

As regards the "golf sized knot" near your groin area, you really should have it looked at by your surgeon. That is not a common finding seen with Tummy Tuck surgery.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Help with swelling after circumferential abdominoplasty

+1

Massage may be quite useful to help mobilize swelling fluids and to soften scar tissue.  But please don't use any heat, as you are likely to end up with a burn in skin areas that are numb.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Avoid heat where you are numb

+1

Typically you will have numbness in the area of surgery after a TT and this can be burned by a heating device before you even know it has happened.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS