Complications for Smart Lipo on Pubic Mound?

I'm interested in getting Smart Lipo for the mons pubis area, but this is a very delicate area, and I was wondering, are there any possible major complications that may occur after the procedure? Would the fat return after surgery? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Complications can occur. Do your homework when selecting your surgeon!

+3

The most important factor in avoiding complications and obtaining excellent aesthetic outcomes is the training and experience of your surgeon. I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in body contouring and liposuction. The mons pubis area is commonly treated both as a stand alone procedure but, more often, in combination with other body contouring procedures. There are two anatomical problems that need to be treated: the volume of fat and the excess skin. I have found that laser lipolysis such as Smart Lipo is only effective in treating very small volumes of fat and inconsistent with skin tightening. Personally, I have been very pleased with the results obtained by using VASER® liposuction technology. This form of liposuction employs the use of low level ultrasonic energy to gently break apart the fat cells, facilitating its removal. Because one can treat in close proximity to the skin, skin tightening is appreciated. Complications to avoid include infection, bleeding, burn wounds, and injury to adjacent genital structures.

Complications can occur. Again, the most important factor to avoid unfavorable results is the skill level and experience of your surgeon. Do your homework when selecting your surgeon!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Some complications may occur

+2

The mons area is indeed a sensitive area, but after surgery, you should be comfortable with adequate analgesics. Smartlipo generates heat and so thermal injury is a possibility. You may also experience some loss of sensation, tingling, etc. If your skin tone is not good, a mons lift/ tummy tuck may be the better choice. The area may also have a prolonged period of swelling and firmness, though not excessive.

I admit, I am not a fan of SmartLipo; my PERSONAL opinion is that it is a gimmick. You can get the sum or even better result for a lot less money from a plastic surgeon who is experienced with other liposuction techniques. It is the surgeon that makes the difference, not the (Smart) Lipo.

Liposuction works well in the mons area

+2

We have been performing liposuction on the mons area for many years, which can be combined with liposuction of the abdomen as well. Some individuals will have more that average fullness or fat in this area and it can be a problem with pants and bathing suits. The mons can also be accentuated after a c-section which can produce a fold or depression above and make the area look fuller.

Any type of liposuction will work well in this area. We often will suction the mons through the belly button which hides the scar and use a thin suction tube to remove the fat. Ultrasound can be used which uses high energy to rupure the fat cells, and Smart lipo which uses a laser light to create heat which burns and ruptures the fat cells can also be used.

You are right that this is a senitive area and procedures that rely on heating the tissue and those that can produce heat such as ultrasound may produce more prolonged swelling, temporary numbness, or at worse a skin burn. This is a dependent area (below your heart) as you are standing and a tight supporting underpant will help get you through.

Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/liposuction

Smarter Lipo is without laser

+2

Liposuction of this area is actually quite common and safe, with complications occurring rarely. "Smart Lipo" uses a laser, which can cause burns, and probably offers no real advantage. There are of course different opinions on this subject but traditional liposuction should work fine.

SmartLipo of the mons pubis

+2

Any liposuction technique should accomplish reduction of the fat from the mons.

With any liposuction technique, if fat is removed, the skin stays the same, so drooping can occur. Often patients come with the complaint of excess fat of the mons, and the problem turns out to be a combination of excess fat plus drooping of the tissue.

The reports of tightening of the skin with laser lipolysis are not yet proven, since tightening of the skin from below endangers the subdermal plexus, the blood supply to the skin, and could cause burns.

There is an additional theoretical concern that with laser lipolysis, more of the retaining ligaments will be defeated (damaged by the laser beam), so the mons could potentially sag if there is underlying laxity. This is purely theoretical, but a possible issue in patients with borderline looseness of the mons.

Laser liposuction involves a laser, so burns can occur, as they can with UAL (Ultrasound liposculpture). These burns do not occur withconventional liposuction, tumescent liposuction, PALS or BodyJet techniques.

Sartlipo procedure of the abdomen area

+1

Smartlipo of the supra pubic mons area is a very common area to treat and I have never half a problem treating ths area.  Because it is the lowest point on the abdomen you can get temporary swelling during the healing phase but this can be easily manage d with ice, low sodium diet, and massage. Once the fat is gone those cells won't come back but you can store fat in adjacent cells if you gain weight after. If you maintain your weight you will maintain your result. 

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo

+1

There is always a risk with surgery, even if small.  You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for this procedure, and they will advise if Smart Lipo is needed.  There is typically not loose skin in the mons so the tightening element would not be as important.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.com

Bay Area Dermatologist

Smartlipo in the Mons works....

+1

I almost always incorporate SmartLipo with Traditional Lipo in the Mons or pubic fat pad. I have seen firmness which transiently  appears in the fatty layer after this procedure, but external ultrasound treatments soften this almost immediately. I have seen some really nice improvement in contour when this area is treated along with abdominoplasty or abdominal liposuction. Nerve damage has never been an issue.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Just Like Any Other Area

+1

Smart Lipo in this area is safe. There is always the risk of swelling and some numbness. You'll wear a garment for at least a week post surgery.

Smart Lipo may not offer any advantages

+1

I am not aware of Smart Lipo providing any additional advantages over conventiional liposuction in this particular area.

Conventional liposuction is likely sufficient for your purposes, but I guess you could also contemplate ultrasonic assisted lipoplasty.

If your condition is associated with massive weight loss sometimes the better choice is to proceed with a pubic lift in which the loose skin AND fat is excised and the pubis is lifted to a higher more aesthetic position.

In answer to your speific question laser assisted lipolysis, if performed correctly, should not have any major complications nor should the fat return.