How Common is Chin Reduction Surgery?

I can never find this proceedure listed on many doctor & plastic surgery websites. I'd love it if you could elaborate on the proceedures involved, the risks, the downtime, & the cost. Recommendations for skilled chin reduction professionals in the North TX area would be greatly appreciated!(I have included a photo of myself in my profile so feel free to share your thoughts on my chin & how can I acheive a shorter, more oval face shape. I have had a rhinoplasty but nothing else cosmetic.)

Chin reduction surgery, how commone

+2

Chin reduction surgery is not as common as chin enlargement surgery, yet it can be done with a short procedure as an out patient with local anesthesia and sedation.

With a hidden incision inside the mouth, typically 2 parallel cuts in the chin bone are made allowing removal of the middle piece.  This allows vertical reduction of the chin.  Look for someone like myself, with both a Medical as well as a Dental degree to have a broader vision of the area.  In my practice, the procedure is performed in our own private accredited on-site facility.  The cost can range depending on the extent of the planned surgery but generally is in the $7,000 to $11,000 range.

See the video below for more information about chins

Chin Reduction (Reduction Genioplasty)

+2

Regarding: "How Common is Chin Reduction Surgery?
I can never find this proceedure listed on many doctor & plastic surgery websites
. I'd love it if you could elaborate on the proceedures involved, the risks, the downtime, & the cost. Recommendations for skilled chin reduction professionals in the North TX area would be greatly appreciated!(I have included a photo of myself in my profile so feel free to share your thoughts on my chin & how can I acheive a shorter, more oval face shape. I have had a rhinoplasty but nothing else cosmetic
.)"

Chin Reduction surgery is not common. Also known as Reduction Genioplasty, it is performed by either plastic surgeons or oral surgeons with an interest in Craniomaxillofacial Surgery. When done, the usual patient has a Hapsburg / Jay Leno chin. Presurgical planning is done to keep or move the lower jaw teeth into proper alignment while a varying height wafer of the jaw is sawed with a reciprocating saw between the roots of the teeth and the tip of the chin either horizontally or at a predetermined angle allowing the tip to be positioned straight up or at various angles of forward or backward inclination. The chin is then held in its new place with a small plate and special screws.

The potential complications are bleeding, infection, death of the chin segment, nerve damage with loss of sensation to teeth and lower lip.

You need to carefully research your surgeon because this operation has become a specialized procedure.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Chin Reduction Is Not Very Common

+2

Unfortunately I could not bring up your profile to speak to your particular situation but in a general chin reduction is not as common as chin augmentation. Chin reduction requires a rather complex analysis of both static and motion of the chin and sometimes x-rays to determine if the prominence is more bone or soft tissue. In some cases, a decrease in the height or width of the lower jaw bone in the chin area is necessary. In others, reduction of the fat and muscle of the chin pad is necessary. Sometimes a recreation of the natural dip between the lower lip and chin is necessary. For other patients, augmentation of other parts of the face may be necessary to balance a natural but prominent chin.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Reduction Surgery

+1

It is not as common as chin augmentation. It is performed by many different specialists though. Xrays are needed prior and it involves risks to nerves of the mandible and also concern of infection.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin reduction surgery

+1

This is an uncommon procedure and is performed by many different specialists including oral maxillofacial surgeons, otolaryngologists, craniofacial and plastic surgeons. It primarily involves risks to the nerves of the mandible which provide sensation to the lower lip. Anytime bones are rearranged, there is a concern about  infection and non-union. Special x-rays called cephalometrograms and dental evaluation are commonly performed.