Do Chin and Cheek Reductions Come with Any Dangers?

In Korea, chin and cheek reductions are popular i order to have a small face, but I have heard that there is ahigh risk. Because of this I want to do it in the United States but I cannot find any website, which talks about cheek reductions.

Has any doctor done a cheek reduction surgery? How dangerous is it? How much does it cost and Is there any possibility that insurance can cover it?

There are risks to any surgery.

+2

Eunmi,

Chin and cheek reductions are not as common here in the United States. More commonly, patients request chin and cheek augmentation. With any surgery of the face, we look at the soft tissue and the underlying bone. The lower part of your cheek can be reduced by removing the internal fat pad (buccal fat pad). The upper part of your cheek can be reduced by manipulating the bone. Similarly, your chin can be reduced by cutting the bone. Anytime you are doing surgery in the face, there is concern of nerve damage, since the nerves run through the bones and the soft tissue. However, with an experienced surgeon, your risks are minimized - not eliminated.

Insurance companies do not cover cosmetic cases. If you had a congenital (from birth) or trauma-related asymmetry, then it would be advisable to talk to your insurance company to clarify your benefits.

Your best bet would be to talk to a plastic surgeon who does the congenital and/or trauma-related maxillofacial surgery.

Choose Wisely

+2

Hello Eunmi,

You have posed a very interesting question. Indeed chin and cheek reduction surgeries are far more common in Korea and other Asian countries than in the United States.

Chin reduction is more commonly offered here and can involve surgery that addresses the bone or the soft tissues that make up the chin. An experienced surgeon should be able to exam you and define what the main anatomical concern is that is causing the unfavorable appearance.

Cheek reduction surgery is not as common here in the US. However, Botox injections are being used increasingly to soften the muscles along the cheeks and jawline to create a softer, more elongated appearance to round faces.

Both surgeries do have risks - these are best discussed in detail with your surgeon during consultation.

Insurance does not cover these procedures unless there is an associated craniofacial anamoly or deformity present.

These procedures should not be taken lightly and I have to say that based on your photo you have a very elegant and balanced facial harmony - may very well be best to do nothing at all!

Kamran Jafri, MD

All operations come with risks.

+1

Chin and cheek reduction is a very uncommon operation.  However, even though I don't perform this surgery routinely, I do know that there are risks.  Most of the risks are cosmetic, specifically how the soft tissue will respond to the decrease in bone volume.   Infection is possible but highly unlikely.  Since the surgery is done intraorally, there is no external incision.

Like ALL Operations, Chin and Cheek Reductions DO have Complications

+1

Regarding: " Do chin and cheek reductions come with any dangers?   In Korea, chin and cheek reductions are popular i order to have a small face, but I have heard that there is ahigh risk. Because of this I want to do it in the United States but I cannot find any website, which talks about cheek reductions.

Has any doctor done a cheek reduction surgery? How dangerous is it? How much does it cost and Is there any possibility that insurance can cover it?"

Because of the rounder Asian faces and the Asian ideals of beauty facial skeleton reduction surgery and reduction in the size of the chewing muscles of the jaw are MUCH more common in the Far East. There is NO surgery which is free of potential complications and the more involved the operation, the greater and more frequent the risks.

If you still have family and friends in Korea I would definitely recommend you research this completely and have your surgery there AFTER planning to stay there for a while and getting a clear understanding on how would potential complications should they occur, be handled.

Dr. Aldea

Chin and Cheek Reduction

+1

Chin and cheek reductions both involve several risks which can include an infection of the surrounding bones, nerve damage, collapse of facial bones, muscular damage and anesthetic complication to name a few.  Chin reduction is more commonly requested and can be done through an intraoral approach quite successfully in cases where the bone is the most projecting element.  In cases where the soft tissue of the chin is excessive, a submental crease may be more advantageous to deal with the extra tissue of the chin pad.

Cheek reduction is not as commonly performed here and can be done through an intraoral approach as well.  Caution should be exerted near the surrounding nerves here.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon