Can Facial Twitching Be Treated with Botox?

Have you or one of your colleagues treated facial twitching with botox? After gamma knife tx. on a noncancerous tumor on the cover of my brain, one year later the twitching started. My dr. said it should last maybe one yr. That statement was made in 2006. It seems the tumor shifted and is touching the nerves to my right eye, under eye, upper lip, lower lip, and chin.

Facial twitching can be treated with BOTOX

+1

Facial twitching can be treated with BOTOX. In fact, the original reason it was approved was to treat eyelid spasms. That’s why it was first used by oculoplastic surgeons. Generally, the treatment does not last a year. Usually, the treatment lasts 3-4 months. But, sometimes the spasms will get better over time and then less BOTOX is needed.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial tics and Botox

+1

Botox and dysport can be used for facial tics or spasms. This would best be done by your neurologist.

Botulinum Toxin (Dysport or Botox) for facial spasms

+1

Certainly. Botulinum Toxin can be used and is an excellent treatment for facial spasms especially of the eye (blepharospasm) one of the indications. However, this can result in undesireable facial laxity. This must be discussed at consultation.

Botox or dysport for facial twitching

+1
Botox or dysport can be injected in the individual muscles that are twitching but the neurologist or other doctor doing the treatment should describe the asymmetry that will develop and the possible stroke-like appearance that can appear when you try to use the muscles as only the other side will work and it will last a few months.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox can treat facial twitiching

+1

The answer is yes. But first it is important to make sure the twitching is not the result of a medical problem that needs attention. I have treated benign twitiching with Botox and Dysport. The most common areas are around the eye in people that have a persistent "twitching" lower eyelid. Dysport works faster than Botox and seems to be better to stop twitching because it works in about 24 hours.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Botox works well facial twitching

+1

Botox was originally developed for facial twitching and works great! For patients wit severe facial spasms it can mean the difference between a normal life and complete disability

I have treated patients with Botox for this type of problem for over twenty years.

Hope this helps

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Call Neurology

+1

While I have never used Botox in this manner, I do know of a neurologist who is quite skilled in this application of Botox. I would suggest that you call your nuerologist for a recomomendation.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Treatment of facial twitching with Botox

+1

Yes, facial twitching can be treated with Botox.  I would suggest seeing a specialist with experience treating patients with Botox for non-cosmetic disorders.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD