Botox Unit Vs Botox CC Cost Comparison

I am being charged $46.00 per CC for botox. How far will 1 cc go? I am going to new doctor for Botox and they quoted me $46.00 per cc, not per unit. How far will 1 cc go. I see people saying they get 20 or 30 units and they are chraged like $18.00 per unit. What is the difference between a unit and a cc?

Never get a quote per cc

Botox comes in vials with 100 units. The material must be reconstituted. Most doctors put 1-2.5cc to reconstitute. So 1 cc could have as much as 100 units (a large dose). The important thing with Botox is the BIOLOGICAL RESPONSE which is dictated by the number of UNITS given. For example, most women need 20-25 units for the frown complex. Men need at least 35 units because the muscle mass is greater. Being told you are given a cc of Botox is nonsense and a should be a red flag that you are not dealing with a legitimate physician.

New Orleans Dermatologist

145 Robert E. Lee Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70124

There is not relationship between a unit of BOTOX and the injection volume

BOTOX comes dry from Allergan.  Most office dilute the product with between 1.0 ml and 4.0 ml of saline.  So in a legitimate office, this would translate into a 1 ml ( 1 cc) syringe containing between 25 units and 100 units of BOTOX.  Assuming that your doctor dilutes with 4.0 ml of saline there would be 25 Units of BOTOX in the syringe that you are treated with.  At $46 per syringe, that would mean that your doctor's office is charging you $1.84 per unit of BOTOX.  What is the chance that you are being charged $1.84 per unit of BOTOX?  About zero.  The reason is that the cost on BOTOX for your doctor is over $5 per unit.  

So presumably there is much less BOTOX than 25 units per syringe.  I have seen BOTOX advertised in Los Angeles for as little as $6.00 per unit.  Now if you think those offices are providing an actual unit for $6.00 then perhaps you also will believe that the Cubs will win the World Series next year.  At $6.00 per unit that $46.00 syringe would contain about 8 units of BOTOX.  This would mean that your doctor is diluting a vial of BOTOX with about 12.5 ml of saline.  What do these calculations mean?  One, your doctor is not honest with your regarding what you are being charged for, and two, it is time to find an honest BOTOX injector.  

You do not necessarily need to spend $18 per unit but it is much more likely that your friends are getting what they are paying for.  If the price is too good, it probably is.

9001 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Botox is normally charged by injection area or by unit

Charging by cc is not common, because Botox is packaged as a dry powder that is then mixed with a saline solution (so the more saline solution added, the lower the concentration). The doctor should tell you how many units of Botox are being injected.

Botox is normally charged by unit or by the area to be injected. Our clinic typically charges by the area, and we guarantee our results, so you do not pay if you would like a top-up on your Botox (i.e. additional units in that same area) after the results take effect.

Cory Torgerson
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

70 Yorkville Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5R 1B9

Botox unit

Most injectors charge per unit. This can range from $10-$15 in Toronto, ON. I am unsure how much 1 cc would be since a Botox unit can be diluted at a varying amount. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Botox price unit vs cc's

Most botox providers dilute the botox with 2 cc's of normal saline. So 1 cc should contain 50 units more or less (there are 100 units in a vial). The best way is to go with units. This way you can compare apples to apples.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

6355 East Kemper Road
Cincinnati, OH 45241

Cost unit

A cc is an inexact measurement as it depends on how the botox is reconstituted. (mixed).  We prefer the unit measurement as it is fair to patients and charge $12/unit.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Botox Charges

Yes, it can be confusing because some places charge per unit, some per area, etc..  The Botox is diluted and you need to make sure you are not going somewhere where they dilute things too much (and therefore may not get the results you are wanting). In my practice, the cost is usually around $12 per unit.  I personally inject every patient myself - I do not have a nurse or PA do the injecting.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Botox per unit vs botox percc

To charge Botox per cc sounds unusual and bizzare

Since the number of units per cc varies greatly with the amount of Saline with which the  Botox powder is reconstituted, you cannot know how many units you are getting, unless you get precise information as to how many units there are in one cc.

I follow the directions of Allergan and I dilute the Botox with 2.5 cc of Saline. Since there are 100 Units in each bottle, 1 cc of my Botox  vials contains 40 Units for which I would be charging $560.00.

In order for your Doctor to charge only $46.00 per cc and not lose money, he would have to  inject Botox at a dilution of less than 10 Units per cc which would result either in lack of effect or in  an unwanted diffusion of the Botox in unintended areas with resultant eye droop or other complications.

Make sure that you allways are treated by an experienced  Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

3000 N. Halsted
Chicago, IL 60657

Results of Botulinum Toxin (Dysport or Botox) depend on number of units and not cc

The result  really depends on how many units are actually delivered and that will vary according to the dilution or preparation of the product. It would be like charging you for sugar that was in a cup of coffee. It really depends on how many packets of sugar you put in. One packet will not taste the same as 4 packets, despite both being deleivered in 8 ounces. Ask how many units you are receiving.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005