Botox Unit Vs Botox CC Cost Comparison

I am being charged $46.00 per CC for botox. How far will 1 cc go? I am going to new doctor for Botox and they quoted me $46.00 per cc, not per unit. How far will 1 cc go. I see people saying they get 20 or 30 units and they are chraged like $18.00 per unit. What is the difference between a unit and a cc?

Never get a quote per cc

+5

Botox comes in vials with 100 units. The material must be reconstituted. Most doctors put 1-2.5cc to reconstitute. So 1 cc could have as much as 100 units (a large dose). The important thing with Botox is the BIOLOGICAL RESPONSE which is dictated by the number of UNITS given. For example, most women need 20-25 units for the frown complex. Men need at least 35 units because the muscle mass is greater. Being told you are given a cc of Botox is nonsense and a should be a red flag that you are not dealing with a legitimate physician.

New Orleans Dermatologist

There is not relationship between a unit of BOTOX and the injection volume

+2

BOTOX comes dry from Allergan.  Most office dilute the product with between 1.0 ml and 4.0 ml of saline.  So in a legitimate office, this would translate into a 1 ml ( 1 cc) syringe containing between 25 units and 100 units of BOTOX.  Assuming that your doctor dilutes with 4.0 ml of saline there would be 25 Units of BOTOX in the syringe that you are treated with.  At $46 per syringe, that would mean that your doctor's office is charging you $1.84 per unit of BOTOX.  What is the chance that you are being charged $1.84 per unit of BOTOX?  About zero.  The reason is that the cost on BOTOX for your doctor is over $5 per unit.  

So presumably there is much less BOTOX than 25 units per syringe.  I have seen BOTOX advertised in Los Angeles for as little as $6.00 per unit.  Now if you think those offices are providing an actual unit for $6.00 then perhaps you also will believe that the Cubs will win the World Series next year.  At $6.00 per unit that $46.00 syringe would contain about 8 units of BOTOX.  This would mean that your doctor is diluting a vial of BOTOX with about 12.5 ml of saline.  What do these calculations mean?  One, your doctor is not honest with your regarding what you are being charged for, and two, it is time to find an honest BOTOX injector.  

You do not necessarily need to spend $18 per unit but it is much more likely that your friends are getting what they are paying for.  If the price is too good, it probably is.

Botox price unit vs cc's

+1

Most botox providers dilute the botox with 2 cc's of normal saline. So 1 cc should contain 50 units more or less (there are 100 units in a vial). The best way is to go with units. This way you can compare apples to apples.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Cost unit vs.cc

+1

A cc is an inexact measurement as it depends on how the botox is reconstituted. (mixed).  We prefer the unit measurement as it is fair to patients and charge $12/unit.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox Charges

+1

Yes, it can be confusing because some places charge per unit, some per area, etc..  The Botox is diluted and you need to make sure you are not going somewhere where they dilute things too much (and therefore may not get the results you are wanting). In my practice, the cost is usually around $12 per unit.  I personally inject every patient myself - I do not have a nurse or PA do the injecting.

Botox per unit vs botox percc

+1

To charge Botox per cc sounds unusual and bizzare

Since the number of units per cc varies greatly with the amount of Saline with which the  Botox powder is reconstituted, you cannot know how many units you are getting, unless you get precise information as to how many units there are in one cc.

I follow the directions of Allergan and I dilute the Botox with 2.5 cc of Saline. Since there are 100 Units in each bottle, 1 cc of my Botox  vials contains 40 Units for which I would be charging $560.00.

In order for your Doctor to charge only $46.00 per cc and not lose money, he would have to  inject Botox at a dilution of less than 10 Units per cc which would result either in lack of effect or in  an unwanted diffusion of the Botox in unintended areas with resultant eye droop or other complications.

Make sure that you allways are treated by an experienced  Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Results of Botulinum Toxin (Dysport or Botox) depend on number of units and not cc

+1

The result  really depends on how many units are actually delivered and that will vary according to the dilution or preparation of the product. It would be like charging you for sugar that was in a cup of coffee. It really depends on how many packets of sugar you put in. One packet will not taste the same as 4 packets, despite both being deleivered in 8 ounces. Ask how many units you are receiving.

Get Botox by the Unit- Not by cc or area- its the only way to know the true value

+1

The active measure of how strong the Botox is, is the unit. You can change the cc's, use more or less for one area (eg, my doctor charges me X for the forehead- it could be 5 units or 20 units depending on what is used).    I would really question anyone who would sell Botox for $46 per cc.  The highest dilution accepted for cosmetic Botox is 4 cc, and this would mean that he/she were selling Botox injections for much less than they even bought it for.  Therefore, this person is using a formula for the Botox that is not accepted in the medical community.  One vial of Botox is 100 Units and most doctors dilute that with 1-3 cc of fluid. 

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX comes in a powder form

+1

BOTOX comes in a powder form and is usually diluted anywhere between 1-4 CCs. If the vile is a 100 unit vile diluted with 1 CC, that 1 CC is going to provide a lot of units. Some doctors will dilute it more in order to get a weaker solution, which means they are then able to inject it in smaller muscle groups and will get more diffusion. Other doctors will make it very concentrated so they can inject in very small amounts. But, the cost should be per unit, not per CC.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon