Botox Unit Vs Botox CC Cost Comparison

I am being charged $46.00 per CC for botox. How far will 1 cc go? I am going to new doctor for Botox and they quoted me $46.00 per cc, not per unit. How far will 1 cc go. I see people saying they get 20 or 30 units and they are chraged like $18.00 per unit. What is the difference between a unit and a cc?

Never get a quote per cc

Botox comes in vials with 100 units. The material must be reconstituted. Most doctors put 1-2.5cc to reconstitute. So 1 cc could have as much as 100 units (a large dose). The important thing with Botox is the BIOLOGICAL RESPONSE which is dictated by the number of UNITS given. For example, most women need 20-25 units for the frown complex. Men need at least 35 units because the muscle mass is greater. Being told you are given a cc of Botox is nonsense and a should be a red flag that you are not dealing with a legitimate physician.

New Orleans Dermatologist

There is not relationship between a unit of BOTOX and the injection volume

BOTOX comes dry from Allergan.  Most office dilute the product with between 1.0 ml and 4.0 ml of saline.  So in a legitimate office, this would translate into a 1 ml ( 1 cc) syringe containing between 25 units and 100 units of BOTOX.  Assuming that your doctor dilutes with 4.0 ml of saline there would be 25 Units of BOTOX in the syringe that you are treated with.  At $46 per syringe, that would mean that your doctor's office is charging you $1.84 per unit of BOTOX.  What is the chance that you are being charged $1.84 per unit of BOTOX?  About zero.  The reason is that the cost on BOTOX for your doctor is over $5 per unit.  

So presumably there is much less BOTOX than 25 units per syringe.  I have seen BOTOX advertised in Los Angeles for as little as $6.00 per unit.  Now if you think those offices are providing an actual unit for $6.00 then perhaps you also will believe that the Cubs will win the World Series next year.  At $6.00 per unit that $46.00 syringe would contain about 8 units of BOTOX.  This would mean that your doctor is diluting a vial of BOTOX with about 12.5 ml of saline.  What do these calculations mean?  One, your doctor is not honest with your regarding what you are being charged for, and two, it is time to find an honest BOTOX injector.  

You do not necessarily need to spend $18 per unit but it is much more likely that your friends are getting what they are paying for.  If the price is too good, it probably is.

Botox by the cc

Thank you for your question. Botox is not normally sold by the cc. This is more common for fillers. Some injectors sell Botox by the syringe, but this becomes a very difficult way to compare with units as the injector may reconstitute their Botox differently. I train other injectors on the safe and effective use of Botox (and other injectables).  I find that core aesthetic physicians (e.g. plastic surgeons and dermatologists) have a deeper understanding of anatomy and the physiology of facial aging and thus I spend less more time focusing my teachings on assessment and the underlying anatomy. For non-core (e.g nurses, family practice physicians, OB/Gyn), this is not something they get a lot of training in during their medical training. Most of Botox complications that reported is usually due to technique and inadequate assessment. I would strongly recommend that you stick with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who does a high volume of injectables as part of their practice.  You may pay more, but knowledge and experience is vitally important to having a safe and effective result.

Botox is normally charged by injection area or by unit

Charging by cc is not common, because Botox is packaged as a dry powder that is then mixed with a saline solution (so the more saline solution added, the lower the concentration). The doctor should tell you how many units of Botox are being injected.

Botox is normally charged by unit or by the area to be injected. Our clinic typically charges by the area, and we guarantee our results, so you do not pay if you would like a top-up on your Botox (i.e. additional units in that same area) after the results take effect.

Cory Torgerson
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox unit

Most injectors charge per unit. This can range from $10-$15 in Toronto, ON. I am unsure how much 1 cc would be since a Botox unit can be diluted at a varying amount. 

If you are trying to get the cheapest price...

I have seen the groupon deals advertised in my area. When prices are much  lower that the other doctors offices in the area, there is usually a reason. The clinic or office is trying to get you to come in  but then they are trying to sell you something else. The product is diluted such that they don't lose money by dispensing it this way. The problem? Diluted too much, you don't get any benefit or at least not enough to think that its worth while. Unfortunately, so many times in life, you get what you pay for...... Hope this helps!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox price unit vs cc's

Most botox providers dilute the botox with 2 cc's of normal saline. So 1 cc should contain 50 units more or less (there are 100 units in a vial). The best way is to go with units. This way you can compare apples to apples.

Cost unit

A cc is an inexact measurement as it depends on how the botox is reconstituted. (mixed).  We prefer the unit measurement as it is fair to patients and charge $12/unit.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox Charges

Yes, it can be confusing because some places charge per unit, some per area, etc..  The Botox is diluted and you need to make sure you are not going somewhere where they dilute things too much (and therefore may not get the results you are wanting). In my practice, the cost is usually around $12 per unit.  I personally inject every patient myself - I do not have a nurse or PA do the injecting.

Botox per unit vs botox percc

To charge Botox per cc sounds unusual and bizzare

Since the number of units per cc varies greatly with the amount of Saline with which the  Botox powder is reconstituted, you cannot know how many units you are getting, unless you get precise information as to how many units there are in one cc.

I follow the directions of Allergan and I dilute the Botox with 2.5 cc of Saline. Since there are 100 Units in each bottle, 1 cc of my Botox  vials contains 40 Units for which I would be charging $560.00.

In order for your Doctor to charge only $46.00 per cc and not lose money, he would have to  inject Botox at a dilution of less than 10 Units per cc which would result either in lack of effect or in  an unwanted diffusion of the Botox in unintended areas with resultant eye droop or other complications.

Make sure that you allways are treated by an experienced  Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist