Possible for Nurses to Get Certified to Inject Botox?

Ive been told that Florida nurses are legally allowed to inject botox if certified? My daughter is interested in the cosmetic side of nursing, she is a BSN. She is considering training in Botox. Is she allowed to inject botox legally and where can she get training for this?

Plastic Surgery Nurse Assistants or Injectors for Botulinum Toxin (Dysport or Botox)

+1

EAch state will vary regarding regulations and you should have your daughter contact the Department of Professional Regulations. There are courses that are offered typically by various societies such as the American Society of Plastic Surgical Nurses. Some require the nurse to be "sponsored" by a plastic or cosmetic surgeon. Most states and liability insurance prefer nurses with higher degrees such as an RNFA or Nurse Practitioner, etc.

Nurses can be delegate the role in some states

+1

Depending on the state, nurses can be delegated the role to inject Botox, but a supervising physician should be over the nurse. 

So depending on the state, yes a nurse can inject Botox.  Is there a certification for it?  Well, there are a ton of "certifications" out there that can be paid for.  Do they mean anything?  Depends.  The only certification that I would trust is a board-certified dermatologist, board-certified plastic surgeon, board-certified facial plastic surgeon, etc.  In my opinion, the physician should be the one injecting the Botox.

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon

Nurses can inject Botox in certain states

+1

In the state of Washington RN's can indeed inject Botox and do so in many cosmetic offices. Other states may vary on this.

Usually the nurses learn it by working with a MD who will train them.

Good luck to you daughter.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon