Reducing Juvederm Swelling with Cold Compress?

Do cold compresses help reduce swelling? How long and how often? I had Juvederm yesterday and my upper lip and the left side of my face are swollen. I was planning to return to work tomorrow. How can I reduce the swelling?

Cold compresses are fine to use after Juvederm, but time will be of the greatest benefit

+3

Thanks for your question.

It is common to have swelling with Juvederm injections for 2-4 days after the procedure. Common ways to reduce this swelling is with ice packs, and if you wait at least 1 day later, you can actually take advil/motrin/ibuprofen.

Avoid taking ibuprofen immediately after your procedure because it can cause brusing, but after one full day, you shouldn't have any problem using it.

Other than those two methods, time will be your best friend in your fight against the Juvederm swelling. By day 4, you should notice a dramatic reduction in your swelling and should do fine.

Some people actually have swelling up to 7 days, so don't be too worried if it's still a little "puffy." All of this will settle down.

Good luck!

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Swelling after HA (hyaluronic acid) fillers

+2

Lady Di: Yes cool gel packs, ice compresses, etc. can help reduce swelling if used early, ideally within the first few hours after your procedure. You might also get some benefit from keeping your head higher than your chest while lying down.

Most patients receiving HA fillers like Juvaderm and Restylane have relatively mild swelling. When the swelling is greater than usual or uneven you may want to contact your dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see if they think you should come back in for re-check.

If you notice bruising in addition to swelling, the swelling will probably take longer to go away, and the bruises may become more noticible before they fade.

We hope this won't stop you from returning to work.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Reducing Juvederm swelling

+2

Cold compresses can help reduce swelling over the first 24 hours following your procedure. I recommend intermittent application of cold compresses (do not apply ice directly, rather use a washcloth rinsed in ice-water, 5 minutes every half-hour, as tolerated). Benadryl or if you prefer a nonsedating antihistamine, Zyrtec can help. If you have bruising in addition to swelling, Arnica pills and topical gel may help.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Managing Swelling After Juvederm

+1
Here are some things you can do to help with your swelling:
  1. Extra strength Tylenol is usually adequate to manage any discomfort.
  2. Cool, soft, flexible ice packs may be used (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day.
  3. Keep your head elevated and use several pillows at night to help diminish the swelling.
  4. You can wash with soap and water, and apply make-up, the day after your injection.
  5. Avoid exercising strenuously, going out into the sun, exposing yourself to cold, or drinking alcohol the day of the treatment. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling form juvederm

+1

Initially, cold compresses  may help decrease the swelling from the fillers.  Usually the swelling just lasts for a few days.

Gel Packs and Time

+1

Swelling after Juvederm is quite frequent and while your physician probably took steps to avoid it, occascional instances of swelling can still happen. Cool gel packs applied for five minutes every fifteen minutes after the procedure will help. If you had a dental block with your injections the swelling will take longer to resolve. I do not think that the gel packs help much on the day after the procedure.

In most cases the swelling should be substantially better after four days. If there was a lot of bruising with the procedure it could take longer, up to two weeks.

If there is tenderness or a good deal of reddness, make sure you return to your physician. It is possible, though very unlikely, you might have an infection. Also, if you develop little water bumps, you could have activated cold sores and this should be treated.

I am quite certain that every physician who has any experience with the fillers, has had a patient who swelled after the procedure. We also, know from experience that the swelling goes away and will do the same with you.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist