Does Crying After Surgery Affect Rhinoplasty Results ?

I had my rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago and it went great. The swelling was minimal. However,this week I learned about a family tragedy & I was crying pretty severely for ~ 2 hours. I am very concerned because for the past several days I been having nose bleeds, lasting as long as 20 minutes. I alo feel very congested & stuffed up and have severe swelling that I didn't have prior. Is it possible that when I was crying I damaged internal structures and reversed rhinoplasty results ? I am worry sick.

Crying after Rhinoplasty

+3

First, I'm sorry about your family tragedy. Crying will cause nasal congestion, just as it did before your rhinoplasty; this may be the reason for your nasal bleeding, but check with your surgeon. Crying will not comromise your final result.

Crying after rhinoplasty

+2

As long as you were not vigorously rubbing or pushing your nose it should not be a problem. It definitely will set you back a few steps in terms of swelling going away. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will crying ruin my Rhinoplasty results

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and NO, crying will not effect your Rhinoplasty results other than to increase the bloodflow to your face and nose creating a bit more swelling.  Cry if you must but don't worry, your nose should not be that fragile after a Rhinoplasty.  However, I also believe it's best for you to check with and follow the instructions of your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Crying and nasal congestion after rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question.  Crying, coughing, sneezing, and vomiting are common uncontrollable events that happen and raise the concern for the patient about healing.  The vast majority of the time there is no bleeding and  no change in shape.  Our nose however does swell when we cry for a long time and this has also occurred for you. It will not likely have a long term affect but it may make you feel better to see your plastic surgeon.  He/she may re-tape it to help with swelling.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Crying after rhinoplasty is OK

+1

Crying is not a problem after rhinoplasty.  The tears will not damage the surrounding skin and the weeping will not raise the blood pressure sufficiently to increase swelling.  Your other findings are normal after rhinoplasty and check with your surgeon that you are healing as planned. 

Philip Miller, MD

Crying

+1

I don't think crying will affect your long term results. The associated congestio may make your breathing recovery take longer.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD