Ask a doctor

Chin Reduction Surgery: Maxillofacial Surgeon or Cosmeic Surgeon?

I am 33 yrs old and have always been conerned with the size of my chin. I have a long protruding chin and large jaw and it has always made me self conscience. Which procedure would you recommend to reduce chin size. Also, should this procedure be performed by a cosmetic surgeon or maxillofacial surgeon? Is there anyone you would recommend in the Los angeles area?

Doctor Answers 2

Searching for Chin Reduction Expertise

Unlike chin augmentation, chin reduction surgery is fraught with a much higher incidence of complications if the correct procedure is not selected or carried out well. Search very carefully for a surgeon who has experience with chin reductions and is aware of the various options for that procedure. Experience is far more important than surgical speciality.

Have a question? Ask a doctor

Prominent look to the chin

The images you show; are with 'smiling' so that the shape of the chin does change due to the pull of the muscles in the area, which accentuates the chin. A surgeon has to recontour bone tissue based upon the 'passive' position/non-smiling of the chin and jawline. In other words, it may be that the chin is 'only' prominent with smiling.

Also, a Maxillofacial surgeon would be more ideal in your case, since one needs to assess  the lower teeth positions/angles since the teeth influence the lower lip. If the lower front teeth are 'set back' from a normal position, the lower lip falls back and this accentuates the chin prominence.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.